cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network with no router

N/A

On pc one thats the one with the modem set the ip for the wireless card to 10.0.0.2 subnet of 255.255.255.0. On the second pc set the ip to 10.0.0.1 subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 10.0.0.2. Setup the dns to +nets dns and it should all work.

On the wireless network setup you may have to se the card to adhock mode
8 REPLIES
N/A

My brother (also a PlusNet customer) has a desktop PC with a built in wireless network card. He has recently bought a laptop which also has a wireless card.

Is there anyway that he can link the two pc's together, using their wireless connections, to share an internet connection, without the use of a router?

He has a USB broadband modem connected to the desktop - he just wants to be able to use the laptop around the house without having to purchase a router.

He's tried using the Network wizard but with no success.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated!

Cheers

Martin
Community Veteran

You could set up a proxy server on the desktop machine, to share the internet connection.
In the past I have found this more reliable then Internet Connection Sharing.
But is not without its problems. Configuration to get applications like MSN messenger working can be problematic.

www.proxyplus.cz is free for persional use.

Chilly
johnmglen
Grafter

Just set it up through win xp as a peer to peer setup.
N/A

Note that the software for some wireless cards say Ad-hoc instead of Peer-to-peer.

I've only dome it that way once but it was pretty simple, once I'd worked out the Ad-hoc/P2P thing.
Andy_P
Dabbler

You could set up a proxy server on the desktop machine, to share the internet connection.
In the past I have found this more reliable then Internet Connection Sharing.
But is not without its problems. Configuration to get applications like MSN messenger working can be problematic.

www.proxyplus.cz is free for persional use.

Chilly

I currently have home PC (XP home, dial up modem (broadband on order) and PCI wireless card) and work laptop (XP professional and built in WiFi). I use Microsoft’s ICS and can share files / printers across both machines and access the internet on my laptop using ICS on the home PC.

What I cannot do to use my Cisco VPN client to connect to my corporate network through ICS (it works fine when I use dial up on my laptop to connect directly to the internet).

I have searched the web for info on this and believe this is simply not possible and that I would have therefore have to either

i) swap my broadband modem between my PC and laptop or
ii) use a wireless router and connect both PC and laptop directly to the internet via that

Do you know if using Proxy+ on my home PC would enable me to connect to the VPN? If so (or even if you think it is worth a try) how easy is Proxy+ to set up / use for someone new to broadband, networking etc

Andy
StuWard
Grafter

On pc one thats the one with the modem set the ip for the wireless card to 10.0.0.2 subnet of 255.255.255.0. On the second pc set the ip to 10.0.0.1 subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 10.0.0.2. Setup the dns to +nets dns and it should all work.

On the wireless network setup you may have to se the card to adhock mode

I've done all that except for the +nets DNS as i can't find it anywhere, on my info it says that it is server assigned

Stu
StuWard
Grafter

Found the DNS i think but i can't get the two computers to speak to each other, or get internet access from the laptop on wireless.
N/A

Stupid question: is the wireless network card enabled on both machines?

WinXP should show any available networks/stations in the wifi connection assistant thingy - if you can't see the desktop there, then you've work to do yet!