Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network Help?

SimonJDay
Grafter

Wireless Network Help?

Morning,

I'm after some advice on wireless modems/routers please.

My girlfriend has recently moved in with me and wants to bring her desktop pc with her. At the moment, my own pc is downstairs within easy reach of the master socket, however I want to have both pc's in an upstairs bedroom where there are no phone sockets. So, rather than rewiring the house I'm thinking of getting a wireless modem router. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it as simple as getting a wireless modem router and two dongles and simply plugging them all in?

2. The GF only uses the internet for surfing, but I do a lot of online gaming. Therefore if we're both on at the same time is it possible to ensure I get the lions share of the bandwidth? i.e. limiting her machine to say 1mb and I take the remaining 6?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Smurf.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless Network Help?

I'm not aware of any residential wireless router that allows you to prioritise traffic by type or to a particular MAC address unless you're prepared to write your own firmware (KWGR614).

Probably the easiest approach is to get a multi-mode (MIMO) router, i.e. one that allows different clients to simultaniously connect at different speeds, and give your girlfriend a 802.11b card which will significantly limit her speed available bandwidth on the internal network.

As you will then be connecting at a higher speed internally, you should get a greater share of the available bandwidth than your girlfriend.

I'd personally avoid a USB dongle for yourself, as USB was never really designed for networking purposes, and lots of users have reported lag spikes in game due to the overhead. If you've got a laptop get yourself a PCMIA card, although it probably has built in wireless anyway, and for desktops consider a PCI card (not difficult to install, provided you read through the instructions first).

Router wise, the basic option is the highly recommended DG834G router, but that doesn't support MIMO technology, so you'll both connect at the same rate.

Stepping up you could use their MIMOG offering, or the DG834PN, both of which support MIMO and the DG834PN will allow you to connect at SuperG speeds. I should point out that there have been complaints in these forums from users with older houses that the range of DG834PN routers is below expectation.

Alterntively, if you really want to be at the cutting edge of technology, see here for Netgear's latest MIMO offering, and here for the card to go with it. I have no personal experience of either of the above, so if you opt for them, let us know how you get on.
SimonJDay
Grafter

Wireless Network Help?

That's very helpful, thank you. They are both desktop PC's by the way. As my GF already has a dongle due to being on her parents wireless network, could she use this whilst I invested in a PCI card?
N/A

Wireless Network Help?

Indeed she could.

Also worth considering is the oft overlooked powerline range from Netgear.

Runs at up to 85Mbps full duplex (Far faster than you'll achieve with wireless given current technology) and all it requires is a plug socket at each end.

To run two computers from it, you have two options, either buy the one with built in 4 port switch (eg here) or buy the single one, and a switch. (I'd buy the one with built in switch if I'm honest! - far less hassle, and one less plug required Cool )

I'd be wary of wireless from a gaming perspective, as wireless routers have a tendency to delay packets, and re-queue them for delivery, not too bad for browsing, but pretty bad news for a gamer who has just been shot!

Also having two wireless machines next to each other could cause a little interferance, resulting a lower throughput. Not to mention the hazards of neighbours with wireless routers, folks with cordless phones, wireless AV senders, etc, etc, etc (they all use the same public 2.4Ghz wavelength)
SimonJDay
Grafter

Wireless Network Help?

Ouch, that's expensive!

Keeping in mind that a wireless modem would probably be less than 30 foot away from the PC's, would this likely make any difference?

I've looked in to the mains plug systems before and really liked the idea. Then realised that not only would I have to buy three of the plug things, but also a new modem/router on top of that, so probably about £200 in all.

One thing I don't understand is that my current line-speed is 7MB, so if I bought the lower speed mains plug ins, the 14 mbps, is it going to make any difference to my connection to the internet?

I'm really not an absolutely hardcore gamer so don't have to have perfect speeds.
N/A

Wireless Network Help?

Nah, follow the link I posted, you can get them with a built in switch.

Second thoughts, that was the US site, try this link instead.

£47 notes and you're sorted. :lol:
Community Veteran

Wireless Network Help?

I believe that Dratek Vigors support “Quality of Service”.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html
But it comes at a £ost.

Personally I would avoid “Pre-N”, I am not sure that it really lives up to its promise, and others on this forum are reporting problems with the wireless range of the Netgear DG834PN.
But I would recommend the rest of DG834 series.

Also mixing network adapter speeds, can cause issues, such as falling back to the slower speed.

Chilly