cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network Connected but no Internet IP

N/A

I apologise in advance for posting this, as im sure this has been asked lots of times! Ive been using the search feature for 20mins and couldnt find a thread to help.

My inet is was working fine but decided to upgrade to a wireless. Ive a netgear router & pci card. As the basic plusnet modem couldnt connect to the router (usb lameness:/) i had to buy a new modem with an ethernet.

All things are connected, i can access the router from my pc, through the wireless pci card but i cant seem to log into my plusnet account. Ive checked the netgears router setup and i dont have an internet ip address assigned. So i think thats kinder the problem?:E How can i set this up? Both the netcard wireless router/card are installed and working fine, i havent yet installed the modems drivers however, i assumed this wouldnt be needed?

These are the models;
Router = Netgear WGT624 802.11g 108 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Firewall Router
PCI Card = Netgear WG311 54mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card
Modem = Dlink ADSL Modem With Ethernet - Interface

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES
N/A

Assuming you are using XP do start /run then type cmd press return and type ipconfig /all.
If you post the results we should be able to help.

Does the modem connect to the internet? If it does its likely that all you need is to ensure the pc's network setting have the default gate way set to the ip of the router.

Make sure the firewall isnt the problem on the router and pc
N/A

Hi thanks for replying windows ip config
node type:- unknown
ip routing enabled:- no
wins proxiy enabled :- no

ethernet adaptor wireless network connection :-
connection specific DNS suffix :-
description:- netgear 108 MBPS wireless pci adaptor wg311t
physical address :- 00-14-6C-2F-CC-29
dhcp enabled:- yes
autoconfiguration enabled :- yes
ipaddress:- 0.0.0.0
subnetmask :- 0.0.0.0
default gateway :-
DHCP server :- 255.255.255.255.

Thanks in advance for any help
N/A

just thought id reply and say how i got on.

Internet is now working fine, the problem was that i hadnt setup the modem that fed the router. I had to connect to the modems setup throught internet explorer at http://192.168.1.1 - logged in and basically ticked a box so the modem acted as a bridge (i fixed this a few weeks ago, so i think it was the bridge option!). All this was done through the router, which was communicating fine with my wireless adapter from the start! Be sure that only the router is logging in with your plusnet account details. Your PC & adapater card should only need your WPA password details.

This is basic stuff but unfortuntely the netgear manual was shit and i dont know why this wasnt highlighted in the manual:/

This instantly got my inet on my wireless working, its been good for surfing and playing games with good pings (like wired). Only issue is u need to reboot if u leave ur pc idle for to long (because u cant access webpages for some reason). Oh and the Netgear Wireless Assistant is the biggest piece of junk software ive ever witnessed in 10years. It crashes out all the time:/
N/A

Help with IP assignments on Netgear RangeMax - please!

Assuming you are using XP do start /run then type cmd press return and type ipconfig /all.
If you post the results we should be able to help.

Does the modem connect to the internet? If it does its likely that all you need is to ensure the pc's network setting have the default gate way set to the ip of the router.

Make sure the firewall isnt the problem on the router and pc

I have a similar problem to sethmace with a Netgear RangeMax DG834PN. The Router is connected okay and all the usual mistakes have been eliminated but running the auto configuration fails to assign an IP address to the PC.

I tried the setup wirelessly (with the Netgear WPN111 USB adapter) first and had no joy on my desktop then read on the forums that it should be done using ethernet first with no security, so did this on a laptop - no luck. I have tried assigning devices using the MAC codes but this didn't work.

Also, running 'ipconfig/all' doesn't work at my command prompt (XP)! - any ideas why? I cant seem to find a way of telling the router that the machines are there.

Please help! Been at it all day - am sure there's an easy way as iainmacmillan tries to point out here:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42414&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

It just needs a little more detail for us beginners.
N/A

Stupid Mistake

Please ignore the previous post. I had not used the correct log-in details - fairly elementary but found the correct information on one of the forums somewhere so thanks to those who help us idiots out.

For reference, I logged in with username@plusdsl.net
and the automatic wizard on the netgear ran smoothly. Next up - security.