cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Interference

michaelscott
Grafter

Wireless Interference

My link syncs at 8128Kbps and I'm on the 8000k profile. When I do speed tests over a wire, I get results as high as 5Mbps. When I do them over wireless I rarely achieve more than 1.5Mbps. The results are the same when I'm sat on top of the router connected at 54Mbps.

I turned the power of the antenna down as far as it would go but this had no effect.

Any ideas what I can do?
3 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

Wireless Interference

Should have included extra information.

The modem/router is a Netgear DG834 v1. The wireless router is a D-Link DI-524.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 27 db 7 db
Noise Margin 7 db 26 db
N/A

Wireless Interference

get netstumbler free form
http://www.netstumbler.com/

If you run this it show noise levels etc and will also show if anyone is on the same channel as you which could be the problem.

Other than that my old trick get a cheap portable radio tune it off channel then wander around and see if you hear noise. If you do you should be able to work out were it comes from. likely sources are electric cables, phones, microwave, tv/radio,aerials and their cables, kids playstation.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Wireless Interference

might be worth making sure the netgear router has the latest 3.10 firmware and the same for the D-Link box.

Wireless connections usually work at 11 & 54Mb/s, whereas a wired connection is 100Mb, therefore its possible, your speed tests are reduced according to your connection type of wireless, which is rarely perfect.

I get connected at 75% signal downstairs, which gives me a speed of about 36Mb/s.

Also the time of day can play factor in your speed tests.