cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless ADSL advice wanted

zebo-the-fat
Grafter

I am thinking of upgrading my ADSL router to a wireless device, does anyone have any recomendations as to the best (or worst) to buy?
I need a "real" firewall and the ability to use port forwarding etc.

Thanks
Alan
7 REPLIES
iPaqowner
Grafter

Re: Wireless ADSL advice wanted

I am thinking of upgrading my ADSL router to a wireless device, does anyone have any recomendations as to the best (or worst) to buy?
I need a "real" firewall and the ability to use port forwarding etc.

Thanks
Alan

I have a Netgear DG834GT which works reliably and is easily setup.
It is connected by a netwok cable to the main PC and to two PC's in my daughters bedrooms by USB wifi adapters.
I also connect to it with my wifi enabled Pocket PC........It all works like a charm.
N/A

dont buy belkin more truble than that damn thing is worth lol...

i suggest the netgear 108mb/s one which i believe is currently on sale at pcworld for 89 quid plus wirless dongle included...it future proof with built in adsl2 modem as well.

think it usually retails for about 129 quid.
N/A

I just bought a Netgear DG834G with a free wireless USB 2 adapter for £63 from amazon.co.uk. Pretty good deal I think. :lol:

I decided on that one because it's get alot of good reviews, I just hope it lives up to them..
N/A

Without doubt, the Netgear kit is superb. The DG834G has one of the best signal strengths of any home router and is reliable and easy to set up.

Well worth it.
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Thanks for the advice, I was looking at the Netgear DG834GT, some of the reviews say it's great, but others say that it is unreliable and runs too hot.
I havn't seen any others in this price range which combine the ADSL modem and a 108Mbp/s Multi-port wireless router in one box. (the DG834G is similar but only has a max wireless speed of 56Mbp/s). I might take a chance on it and send it back under warranty if it fries! Cheesy
Midville
Grafter

Netgear DG834G here, good piece of kit I have had no problems at all.
Community Veteran

the 108Mbs speed of the 834GT is only useful if you intend to do a lot of file transfers between PCs. The throughput of a 54Mbs link is still way above the 2Mbs max speeds that ADSL has and even above 8Mbs, so you will not see any improvement in performance between 54Mbs & 108Mbs speeds.

The DG834G has a very good track record and if it's similar to my DG834 v2, runs very well and very cool.