cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired and Wireless

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wired and Wireless

I know this probably sounds a bit thick, and I probably know the answer, but thought I would ask for any other advice. I jave 2 systems operating, a Wired desktop and a wireless laptop(pc card, not built in). usually the speeds on speedtesters are about the same give or take 100kbps here and there, but just recently, the wireless system has started to give much lower speedtest readings, and speedtests very laggy. Browsing and streaming video appear resonable though. Wired speeds are Ok. I am presuming its the current weather and the atmosthere, but I also have a wireless baby monitor in the house, ??could this cause interference. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas?Huh
15 REPLIES
N/A

Wired and Wireless

A microwave oven in the house could also been causing a problem.

Have you tried changing the wireless channel? this may help.
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

not only microwaves can affect wireless connections, but even dodgy thermostats in central heating systems have been known to interfere with that, along with some DECT (Cordless digital) phones too..

There are plenty of threads with information about this across the forum - if I find the links to them, I'll post them in this thread for you.

KR

Roger.
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

I found this report on DSLReports.com which you may find useful to help resolve your slow wireless speeds.

HTH

Roger.

I've also moved this thread to the wireless broadband forum for better visibility Wink
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

One thing to watch out for is that 802.11bg only offers three non overlapping channels (1, 6 & 11).

So if any of your neighbours are also running wireless on the same channel or overlapping channels that can effect the throughput on your wireless network.

Try changing the channel setting on your router, to see if that improves your throughput.

Netstumbler is a great tool for checking what wireless networks are near. (Providing your wireless adaptor is supported.)

Chilly
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

Thanks chaps ( thanks for moving the post roger!!)

I have changed the channel from autodetect to 11, with a small improvement. (wired 4.2mbps, wireless 3.0mbps) Will have a read of the links you have posted, and let you know.

its not that its an issue, just wondered why the speeds have suddenly dropped with the wireless.
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

You're very welcome Smiley

if you need any more assistance, then please don't hesitate to get back to us!

Regards,

Roger.
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

wired 4.2mbps, wireless 3.0mbps

Have you tried transferring a file between the two PC's to see what seed you get there?

I know that wireless network manufactures will sell you 108M wireless cards and routers, but in truth average throughput rarely exceeds 5M.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

Thanks Chilly. I have always wanted to know how to do this. How do I see the speed the network is transferring data at wirelessly. I can see what wondows thinks the transfer speed is, but is there an app that can actually tell me the data transfer speed. ( as an aside, windows always tells me the speed is between 36 and 54Mbps, with connectivity as excellent.)
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

Windows task manager, will give you an idea.
Also just transfer a large file of know size and time it.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

Just a quick update, I have switched off everything I can think off that might affect the wireless, but still is a bit laggy and stuttery. Gets better the closer i get to the router, and to rule out the laptop, speeds are fine, when connected via ethernet. i wonder if uninstalling the reinstalling the wireless PC card might help? Not had time to do a throughput check as yet, will try tonight, and time a large file from the wired desktop to the laptop, see what happens. Cant think of anything in the house that may cause this, that has suddently changed at all, unless its the atmospheric conditions where I live ( weather complete shight at the moment!!). When I have some throughout figures, I will post back for your kind advice. Wink
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Wired and Wireless

Upgrading the router firmware and card drivers won't hurt.

See here for information about troubleshooting wireless range/throughput.
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

Thanks Peter. The router is a speedtouch 585v6 on the 6.2 firmware, as according to DSLZone this is the most stable revision. There are no upgraded drivers for my 3com PC card wireless adapter, I am using the most recent. Like I said, I am a bit puzzled by the recent drop off in performance, even resorting to the like of reinstalling the TCP/Ip stack, in case it had got corrupted. I will have a read of the tutorial.
Community Veteran

Wired and Wireless

Not sure if this is Ok or not??

From Desktop to Laptop 38.8Mb file in 35 seconds
From Laptop to Desktop 22.5Mb file in 11 seconds
Desktop to Laptop 57.2Mb file in 48 seconds
Same file other way 26 seconds?

Can anyone advise?
N/A

Wired and Wireless

I assume that this is using the wireless connection. If so repeat the test using the wired connection.