cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired and Wireless - Hardware recommends please

N/A

Okay this is a first time for me, I have a desktop PC that is connected to broadband through the Speedtouch modem. My wife has just purchased a wireless enabled laptop which picks up a signal from our neighbours, I would like to install wireless in our own house as there is another desktop downstairs that I want to make wireless...my questions are this

Can I use wireless and wired?
Is wired faster than wireless?
What equpiment do I need and which is recommended?

Thanks in anticipation
Dave Cheesy
3 REPLIES
N/A

yes you can use wireless and wired, wired is faster but depending on what you get you wont notice a difference between them. i would reccomend the an smc router. the make i have is the smc7904wbra and it is very reliable.
N/A

Wired is a lot more reliable. If you are picking up wireless from the house next door you may have problems with it interfearing with yours and if you dont secure it propaly then they may get into your network.

You would have to set your to a different chanel than next door
Nick_Russell
Grafter

As far as I know a laptop with WiFi enabled will always detect connections - this is normal. Whether the laptop can use the connections it finds depends on the security of the broadcast WiFi.

Wired (100mpbs?) is in theory faster that wireless (54mbps?) but unless you are transferring large files between two computers this makes no practical difference. The speed of connecting to the internet will be determined by the connection (2MB?) and not the link from router to PC.

I would recommend the Netgear DG834GT