cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP, SP2 + WEP doesn't quite work together!

N/A

Hi, all:

I have the following setup, that's been working just fine for a while.

NetGear DG834GT wireless access point/router.
Toshiba Satellite 6000, running Windows XP + SP2.
Tosbiba SatPro, running Windows 2000.

Yesterday, I discovered an extra connection to my router, presumably from a neighbour, and therefore I decided to configure WEP on the router and all laptops.

Since then, I can't get the XP box to connect again with WEP enabled. Turning WEP off re-enables the connection from the XP box; turning it back on kills it again.

Windows XP Firewall is off; and my Windows 2000 system connects fine with WEP enabled, as does my wife's and daughter's systems (both Windows 2000).

I'm getting fed-up with entering and re-entering a 13 character key, twice and then again as a 26 character hex key value. I've done it often enough now that I (almost) have the hex sequence memorised. I've entered it in lower-case, upper-case, before noon, after noon and after a shower.

None of these ideas helped.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting an XP system to talk again, whilst retaining the WEP settings? Please?

Cheers

JR
7 REPLIES
N/A

So its not just me then!
N/A

I guess not - how long have you had this issue?
N/A

Have you got the correct transmission key (0-4) selected when configuring the XP connection ?
Had a similar prob to you a while back, kept putting in the WEP key and it wouldn't connect, then realised I had a different transmission key selected - matched them up and then all was fine...
N/A

I believe I did - it's early, the XP laptop is packed up for a day out and I can't recall precisely where it was, but there was a drop down on the same dialog as the hex or char WEP key entry fields, that allowed a choice from 1 to 4. Presumably, this is the one you're referring to and if so, yep, I set that correctly, I think.

I'm gonna let it run until next weekend as it is; then probably spend another happy six or so hours entering the same 26 character hex string on three computers and the router.
N/A

LOL been in that boat a few times ! Your best bet is to stick the key on a floppy disc or usb key - saves typing it in each time and less chance of a typo.
N/A

Actually, I'm trying to come up with a meaningful sentence, in hex, to make that task a little easier. The only word I have thus far is 'face', but it's early days (and indeed hours!) yet ...
N/A

Why not just restrict router access by MAC? That way it will be transparent to any clients, be they Win2k or WinXP.
Then you don't have to worry about WEP passkeys, or about neighbours borrowing your connection.