cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which wireless router [RESOLVED]

andun84
Grafter

OK my trusty wired router of many years - a speedtouch 510v4 has started rebooting every hour or two recently therefore I believe it must be on its way out. I have the latest firmware and as there is no further development on this device as it has now been discontinued there will be no newer firmware available.

Basically I think a wireless router would be a better option for me as all my computers are upstairs and the phone socket is downstairs which means that I have a broadband extension running from the master socket to my bedroom where the router is. This extension is about 12m in length therefore as I am max and my line is quite far from the exchange which means I typically sync around 1.2 or 1.3 I thought that if I was to connect the router directly to the master socket this would give me a better chance of syncing that bit higher and possibly move up to 1.5mb stable rate rather the 1mb which I get at the minute. In any case even if I don't get a higher stable rate at least I should get more stable sync rates.

Are there any reasons to go wired as opposed to wireless (setting aside wireless security issues) in any new setup? Anyone got any recommendation on good wireless routers to use that work well with pipex. Don't like BT branded stuff so not interested in them. Must offer me full control of ip address routing & nat. Everyting is configured within my network to work on static internal ip addresses. Not looking to spend more than £90 on the router however if there is something cheaper which offers could security configuration and is robust then I will happily take it.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you have used speedtouch before, and want a wireless option, I use the 585v6. Its a fantastic wireless router, but make sure you get the 6.2 firmware as the older firmware had some issues with idle timeouts errors. DO you use the DMT tool? if you do, the laster firmware for 585v6 does not support it. If you dont want wireless, the the speedtouch 546 is a good router.

What are your stats from the Master Socket?Huh
jazz
Grafter

I use a Netgear DG834GT and found it very easy to set up and very reliable.
Liam
Grafter

I use a Netgear DG834G and I, too, find it very reliable. I'm a bit of a fan of Netgear kit.

A possible option for you, though, if you were to switch to our Broadband Your Way Options 3 or 4 product, you can actually apply for a 4-port Wireless Router and have it deferred for 12 months under our Free Setup offer.
andun84
Grafter

Just rereading my own question there. My head must have been somewhere else when I wrote about getting a router to work with pipex. It is of course plusnet. Havne't been with pipex for a few years now. Just in case that confused anyone.

I was doing a bit more looking round and I see that a lot of the people on here seem to be using the netgear 834's in their various incarnations.

I have to say that I love my speedtouch and I am considering the 585v6 as suggested along with 780wl. Therefore given the good reputation that the netgears seem to be commanding has anyone had any problems with them or the speedtouch's that I am considering also.

I will plug into my master socket tonight just to see what differences there are between the line stats at it and through the extension to see if plugging directly into the master socket will have much of an impact. Will report back on that if it turns anything interesting up or something I don't understand.

I had considered the move to option 3 or 4 however I don't like the peak running from 8am to 12 midnight. Just too long a peak period for me so will continue to stay on my current contract for the time being anyway but thanks for pointing it out.
andun84
Grafter

Decided to go for the Speedtouch 585v6 as I have always been happy with speedtouch. Anyway syncing higher but will post those in a new thread for comments as I'm not really sure about what all the numbers really mean. Anyway thanks for the advice.