cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Settings

N/A

Which Settings

We run a small wi fi network (Secure site, with fixed ip addresses) at a business address.
My sales guys access this with there laptops.
I now want them to use hotspots to pick up & receive emails.
How do I configure the laptops to talk to the hotspots.
4 REPLIES
markjeffs

Which Settings

i take it your laptops have wireless cards ...

if so then the best way to do this is to setup the wireless router that you have to serve out DHCP but also setup WEP security on the box.. provide your sales guys with the WEP key and away they go connecting

or else call someone in to set it up for you try www.lanserveuk.com we do this sort of thing every day
N/A

WiFi hotspot protocols replying

Hi,

As far as my knowledge on Wi Fi goes I think the only major problem you might encounter is that NOT all hotspots operate on the same networking protocol some use 802.11G & others use 802.11B (I think?).

If your really unlucky and your sales people arrive at a hotspot where your using a different protocol to the hotspot then you could find communications are impossible. However I do think its important to put the risk's of this into context, these days I think most wireless network products will allow the user to switch almost seemlessly to an alternative protocol. So I think the risk's of a wrong WiFi protocol are small (But do bear this in mind though).

**I would definately advise that a hotspot be checked before you try using it, check which type of protocol is in use (if you can?) DONT just assume it will work first off and that all will be well. You could end up, up the amazon without a paddle! Shockedops:

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Re: WiFi hotspot protocols replying

As far as my knowledge on Wi Fi goes I think the only major problem you might encounter is that NOT all hotspots operate on the same networking protocol some use 802.11G & others use 802.11B (I think?).

b and g are interoperable. They use the same session management protocols, but the g kit just transfers the actual data frames faster.

An 802.11b car will work fine on an 802.11g hotspot and vice-versa. The speed will be limited to that of the 802.11b device, obviously.
N/A

Thanks Ivan

Hi James,

Thanks! that confirms nicely what I was attempting to say above & now I know myself, cheers for that! :lol:

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!