cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to get; where to get it from?

N/A

As it is time to retire my trusty Binatone Plus Net - so I can use the laptop to access the web too what is the top suggestion for a wireless network adsl box and (presumably) usb adapter?
Where is the best place to buy?
Any I should steer well clear of?
(the assistant in Currys today said a D-link may not work with some ISPs)
Thanks.
Geoff
7 REPLIES
N/A

What you want is a Wireless ADSL Router with Built in Modem. This basically has a socket on the back to plug direct into phone line. The wireless bit is two aerials with a web browser based set up for the security aspect and naming the connection. There is also usually a few RJ45 sockets on the back too if you want to use an Ethernet cable instead.
Not heard of D-Link problems before but personally I have always gone for Belkin.
N/A

I use a D-Link at the office, and it works fine.

I use a Netgear at home (and have installed various models at each of my referrals)

Preferences?

I'd always recommend the Netgear kit for ease of use - the D-Link is fine, but I don't find it as intuitive.

When it comes to shopping for Netgear, its worth having a dig around online for lowest prices - if you do end up at a computer superstore (super in terms of size rather than usefulness Wink ) its worth having a good old rummage - Netgear often bundle in the USB dongle in packs which sell for the same price as the packs not containing one.

When it comes to wireless speeds, don't get carried away with the sales pitch - if you aren't planning on transferring huge quantities of data between computers on your network, the speed is largely irrelevant.
The wireless speed really only needs to be considered in terms of range - in older houses with thicker walls, or in larger homes, the higher speed wireless protocols will help return a more stable connection over a longer range. If you will for example, be using your laptop in the same room as the router, almost any wireless speed will do.
Liam
Grafter

With regards to D-Link - see this : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/21/dlink_wlan_lusers/

With regards to wireless routers in general - I tend to prefer Netgear or BT Voyager kit.

I've used a Voyager 2110 and that's nice - but I do like my Netgear DG834G.

If you don't mind splashing out a bit - you can't go far wrong with this - http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119374.
holdtight
Grafter

If you don't mind splashing out a bit - you can't go far wrong with this - http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119374.

Thats also 30 quid cheaper than the unuseful superstore are selling
the same thing at so rather than it being splashing out its a bargain as well as a great bit of kit
N/A

Hadn't heard about the issues with the D-Link WLAN (its turned off on mine at work)

Definately strengthens the case for Netgear stuff, Liam's link is one worth considering if you have the cash - the price is excellent.
psk10
Grafter

Hi try www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk they are very good
fezzy2001uk
Grafter

wireless

i use netgear dg834gt 108 Mbps with free usb wireless connector £65 so not to dear.. shop around... currys is cheapest at the moment...easy to set up and with the built in modem its all you need :lol: