cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need?

Rourkefamily
Grafter

What do I need?

Just ordered my Netgear DG834G so I can go wireless in the house.
I have two desk tops and one work laptop. The work laptop will be easy as it can be converted by the IT guys at work. It is the desktops I need to find out about. One is about two years old and a very basic machine. AMD Sempron 2400 with 750MB of RAM. The other is a much older machine Pentium III 800Mhz running 118MB of RAM (I am looking to increase this). Both machines are running XP.

I assume I will have to purchase wireless network cards or how can I check?
5 REPLIES
N/A

What do I need?

you can get a card that goes into the pc like a
D-LINK

DWL-G510

WIRELESS 54MBPS DESKTOP CARD

Standard Delivery £4.99

SPEED up to 54Mbps RANGE up to 100M

For this you have to open your pc but its better than a usb which you can get like

BELKIN

F5D7050UK

WIRELESS 54G USB NETWORKING ADAPTER
with this you just plug it into a usb port and away you go.

all can be found
here

The best bet if you can is to use a ethernet cable which is cheaper faster and more reliable

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Link Shortened as it was streching the page.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

What do I need?

Will both PC's need a card? Some people tell me if I have an Ethernet card, I will not need a network card. If this is correct, how do I check for the ethernet card? Is there a chance this could be on the newer PC?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

What do I need?

With the Netgear DG834G, can I hardwire to one PC?
N/A

What do I need?

The DG834G can connect up to 4 computers using ethernet cable. The box contains one ethernet cable (to connect one computer) but you can purchase additional ethernet cables if you need to connect further computers.

Most computers bought in the last few years will have a Network Adapter with which you can plug in an ethernet cable. If you go to the Control Panel, double click on 'System', then click on the 'Hardware' Tab followed by 'Device Manager'. Look for 'Network Adapter' in the list of components. If its there click on the plus sign to the left and it should make reference to ethernet.

All computers that you want to connect to the DG834G will either need an ethernet Network Adapter or a Wireless Network Adapter.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

What do I need?

Thanks for the reply.

Both PC's appear to have ethernet hardware. I think I will try to hardwire to both and use wireless to my laptop.