cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to set up a wireless network, but need help

N/A

Currently, i have 2 PCs networked with a cat5 cable & router as (knowing absolutley NOTHING) about networking, it was easier for me to understand than wireless. Either that, or, it was explained better than a wireless setup.

What i am wanting to do is, get rid of the wired network system, and have in a wireless one.....as, now my g/f has moved in with us, me and her stay out in the room built at the end of the garden (no ideal situation, but, keeping on track, lol...). Which is say, rough figure...100yds from the main PC (not sure if that makes a difference).

I am planning on buying a laptop, which i would use in our room at the end of the garden, which i would also like connected up on the network, all 3 to use my current PlusNet account, like how the current network is just running off the 1 account.

So, my question is......is this at all possible?

If so, i am then going to need to find out exactly how to do it, hardware needed, if a laptop needs different hardware etc. But for that, i think i would go to (e.g.) PC World as i've had people try explain wireless networking before and it was straight over my head, lol.

Appreciate anyone able to help out.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hope this is clear enough:
1.Get a wireless access point (NOT a wireless router, just a wireless access point)
2.Plug it into your router
3.Follow the instructions that come with it - setup a WEP key (like a password), and the SSID (the name of your wireless network)
4.Get a wireless card for the PC and laptop if they don't already have them
5.Setup the WEP key and SSID on the wireless card for the PC and laptop (not sure on the details of this on windows, but someone else should be able to fill you in on that)

That should work fine
N/A

thanks for your help so far. But, i need to ask, knowing nothing about this, what is a wireless access point?

So my current router will work fine?
N/A

A wireless access point is the device that connects wireless devices to your network.

Yes, your current router will be fine, so long as you buy a wireless access point to go with it. If you walk into a decent computer shop (personally, I would recommend against PC World or any similar large retail store, aim for the smaller local shops) and explain you have an ADSL router already and want to setup wireless. You don't want to buy a new router, you just want a wireless access point to plugin.

A quick look at maplin.co.uk gives this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=650&MenuName=Wireless+Access+Points&worldid=4&FromMenu=y&...

Perhaps plusnet may also sell their own wireless hardware too.