Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WPA-PSK !

Stef
Grafter

WPA-PSK !

Hi,

I am starting to standardize on WPA-PSK with SSID broadcast switched off (Infrastructure mode).

I am having all sorts of funnies:

- dropped connections
- Four minutes to establish a connection etc...
- And YES, sometimes it works!

(All firmware most up to date)

I am frankly wondering if I should standardise all on one manufacturers kit (e.g. Netgear) as I seem to be having most problems with mixed kit (e.g. Belkin WiFi cards (2004) & Netgear routers).

Do others think I should standardize on one manufacturer?

What does this say about the standards process? (Is WPA-PSK a standardHuh)

Do you think my interoperability problems might be eased if I switch SSID broadcast on?

Many thanks in advance for your views,
Stef
5 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

WPA-PSK !

i use all belkin kit and its fine

be aware though items such are cordless phones use 2.4 ghz and if are sited near your access point may cause interferance

you may want to invest in a better antennea from some where such as ebuyer to boost your access point signal
Stef
Grafter

WPA-PSK !

From Wikipedia:

"WPA implements the majority of the IEEE 802.11i standard, and was intended as an intermediate measure to take the place of WEP while 802.11i was prepared"

(My italics) nuff said imo...

Seems like WPA2 will be better...

... now gonna go off and do some tweaking...

Gonna try SSID Broadcast "ON" and bigger aerials for starters!

ps Passphrases should be at least 20 characters...
Stef
Grafter

WPA-PSK !

So I switch SSID broadcast back on and my Belkin WPA1 card (PSK) talks to my Netgear DG834G sweet as anything Cheesy

There ARE some interop issues as far as I can see with WPA1 with mixed vendor kit which I suppose is not surprising...

... Now happily surfing from the GREENHOUSE...

Tongue

Cheers, Stef
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

WPA-PSK !

I use all Gigabyte kit and had problems with random disconnections. (the laptop reported a good signal being received but would not connect). When I changed from channel 6 to channel 9 everything worked perfectly (ssid turned off). I assume that something was interfering with the signal on channel 6.
N/A

All of them has got an Atheros heart inside anyway

I was having problems with my Netgear Super G router and a Netgear card plus an Edimax card until I loaded the Atheros driver which came with the Edimax card onto both of our laptops and since then it's perfect.

Fortunately these cards both use the same Atheros chip, AR5005GS

So that's what counts, not the brand.

I am tempted to try an Edimax firmware on my Netgear router.

The other important thing is the location of the router, a couple of meters can make a huge difference. move your router until you find the best location for the best coverage.