cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WG602 Help (or alternative access point advice)

N/A

OK, bit of a n00b question, but hey I ain't shy!

If I use these access points in repeater mode, does this mean that only one of them needs to be connected to my LAN, and the rest just need power?

Got a warehouse/production environment to provision a WLAN in, and just running one Cat5 will save me heaps of time (and cash)

Also, would in terms of config, what would need to be done? Can you create the settings on one, and have them picked up by the other ones rather than entering keys etc in each one?

(I suppose if the answer is no, then Ican set one up and back the config up, then restore it to each of the other ones?)

Any help/advice appreciated.

Also not really bothered about brand, but I have used Netgear stuff for a while so it was the obvious place to start looking.

Similar recomendations about the £30 mark would be interesting too, particularly if somebody can tell me a benefit to going for a different brand.

(I thought about going for a higher spec Cisco model for example, but the layout is such that theres a high risk of dead spots, so I'd prefer to just add as many cheapo repeaters as I need.

Also worth noting that throughput is not massively important, its just to be used for sending print configurations through to a few mobile Label printing/application machines.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, only one requires a LAN connection (the master access point) and the rest (relays) just require power.

I created a similar scenario in a very large open planned office using 4 Belkin F5D7132UK
(http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/112497)

The boxes do need to be configured manually, each with an individual IP and SSID, but thanks to belkins simple web GUI this took a matter of seconds. the security keys also need to be entered manually.

In short you could configure one box as an access point then configure another as an extender, backup its config, distribute it to the others, and then change their IP's & SSID's.
Not sure if the netgears work this way too, although I can't see there being much difference.

I chose the Belkins because they were the best priced I could find, and from past experience found them to be 100% reliable.

Hope this helps Cheesy
N/A

It certainly does help - thanks.

I'll have a look at the Belkin ones too, but I'm pleased to know that they work as I hoped.

Every Netgear example I'd seen only included a pair of them which baffled me a bit.
I think the Netgear ones require MAC's entering, and the example I saw only appeared to have one box to enter one MAC, so perhaps there might be some limitation after all on the Netgear ones.

*me goes to check out Belkin AP's*

Cheers
Community Veteran

If you must go a job do it properly.

All through it sound a good idea to use Access points in a repeater mode, to provide better coverage. And reduce cabling costs, in practice its not the best idea.

Its OK, if you are looking to use a single repeater to cover a black spot, but I get the idea that your intention is to fit just one hardwired AP, and about half a dozen repeaters!! with repeaters running off repeaters.

Think of it this way, each repeater has to both transmit and receive the same packets over the wireless connection, which effectively half's the bandwidth, and increases congestion.

Also any fault finding could be a nightmare, just think of all those extra network hops.

Height is your best friend in getting good coverage from a small number of access points, and also using the correct antenna for the coverage area, the whip's that are supplied with most AP are OK, but a few high gain antenna could reduce the number of APs required. Or the good old Sandra-D.

Power can also be a challenge, in that there are never power sockets in the ceiling where you wish to place the AP's. The solution that we use on the wireless networks that I specify and install, is to have a centralised power source that is distributed to the AP's by two core cable running alongside the network cable, almost a poor man's PoE. (We can not use PoE for regulatory reasons.)

The way we survey a site it to use a mobile device, to ping to a test AP placed in a suitable location.

ping -n 100 -l 512 ap1

As you walk around you will see the ping times increase where the coverage is poor. Moving a AP by just a couple of metres can have a massive effect of the coverage you can get from it.

The largest wireless network that I have specified had 41 Access Points over 5 floors. :shock:

Chilly