cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WEP to WPA problem

N/A

WEP to WPA problem

I have a BT Voyager2091 router and a wi fi laptop. I tried to change from WEP to WPA security and lost the connection and couldn't connect to the web, then I reset the router.

How do I change the setting to WPA and NOT lose the connection?

I would then need to set the WPA on a wirless adaptor I have for the desktop.

Any advice will be gretaly appreciated.

Many thanks.
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

WEP to WPA problem

Hi

Once you've cleared WEP and set up WPA security on your router you will lose the connection as the router can no longer communicate with the network but do the router side first

If you then go to the wireless adapter clear WEP and set the same WPA security your connection should automatically re detect itself

This is where i personally find it a lot easier to let windows manage my wireless connections rather than the utility that comes with the adapters as ive found the software to be at best flaky

Shout if you have any problems with this
N/A

WEP to WPA Problem

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still not sure how to set the router to WPA before doing the laptop.

When I first attempted this, I thought I was changing the WEP to WPA on the router, but when I lost the connection I didn't know how to change the setting to WPA on my wifi laptop.

How do I change to WPA on my wifi laptop so it will be compatible with the changed WPA on ther router.

Thanks again.
holdtight
Grafter

WEP to WPA problem

Start again with the router and set WPA up as you did before making a note of the settings you entered and dont forget to save the settings this is when you will lose your connection, the rest will depend on whether you are using the software that comes with the adapter or windows

If its a centrino enabled laptop or if your using windows to manage your wireless go to control panel - network connections right click on the wireless network connections icon and select properties now select the middle tab at the top (wireless networks) then click on remove which will obviously get rid of your WEP settings then select add and fill in your relevent WPA settings the same as you did on the router side and click ok then ok again now your wireless should re detect your new security settings and your connection will be up again

Its all much the same if your using the adapter software which once opened will be wizard based for easy setup, run through the setup wizard changing your settings as you go to the same WPA security as the router and once done auto detection will take place and reconnect you

Hope this helps you

Bill.
N/A

WEP to WPA Problem

Thanks again for your help.

I changed to WPA on my computer and appeared to have done it successfully until the computer tried to connect to the web......

...a message appeared saying that the network did not assign a network address to the computer. I thought this would happen automatically.
Also the connection was too weak to connect to the web, so I was back to not being able to use the web.

I might have another few attempts at this WPA security change before I give up - I must be doing something fundamentally wrong!