cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a WAG54G...

N/A

Using a WAG54G...

Hi guys and gals..

Just got the above router and set it up. I'm using one PC connected to it using a network cable, and my Powerbook connecting via wireless.

Anyhoo, I've managed to set it all up, both machines have got access to the net, my ping and download speeds are the same as before using the USB modem.

However, I have one problem. I can't access a few sites which I previously had no problem accessing. No matter which machine/browser I use, I can't visit eBay, OcUK etc. Other sites such as Hexus, Multimap etc are fine.

Any idea why this might be?

Cheers,

Lowe
14 REPLIES
N/A

Using a WAG54G...

Turns out to be a faulty router.. replacement on the way!
N/A

Using a WAG54G...

Ok, I've got the replacement and I'm still having problems. Can't sign into eBay through the router, but it's fine through the USB modem?

I'm totally baffled now.
N/A

Router

I have the same router and have had exactly the same problems, I am in the process of sending it back and I have purchased the BT Kit from Plus Net

I can not work out what the problem is either I assume it is faulty, I also have the problem that I can not get the wireless to work whatsoever
N/A

Using a WAG54G...

I managed to get wireless to work flawlessly, though with the same problem - no eBay. I think it might be something to do with the secure settings on sites like eBay, but I can't be sure. I wonder if there's a bug in the firmware..

I've emailed Linksys about it, going to call Plus to make sure I'm not doing something daft with the settings..

/edit - tried setting up a DMZ as well, still no joy!
cfroggett
Grafter

?

the WA54G has security settings for internet access, built in firewall and also java/activex/cookies/proxy requests. Is there anything in the logs to say whats going on? Do you have another security product running that may be interfereing? I know that this can not be faulty h/w as if it was you wouldn't be able to do anything, whereas you are saying everything else is fine. what firmware and WAG version do you have?
N/A

Linksys WAG54G

Hi
I'm using the same setup without any problems.

Firmware version 1.01.6
Firewall enabled
No Additional Filters
Block Anonymous Internet Requests

Also running Zone Alarm firewall with no problems
cfroggett
Grafter

Using a WAG54G...

II have firmware 1.00.19 I think, where did you get the update from?
N/A

Using a WAG54G...

Updated from http://www1.linksys.com/international/firmware.asp?intfwid=73&coid=6

Site says Version 1.00.19 but after updating via the Adminstration, Firmware Upgrade page on Linksys, reports version 1.01.6
?Huh
cfroggett
Grafter

Using a WAG54G...

You wouldn't believe that linksys are part of Cisco would you? I have not been overly impressed with them to be honest. I'm going to try this link out when I'm back home, sometime I experience very weird wifi connection issues (drop outs etc) so was wondering if this firmware has been rock solid for you?
N/A

Using a WAG54G...

Not had any problems but must say that the cabled connection is used much more than the wifi.
cfroggett
Grafter

Found a bug in Linksys

I turned off the firewall on my LinkSys (Security / Firewall / Firewall Protection Disable). When I disable this most sites work, but some, hotmail/msn etc do NOT. When I enable it, they all work again. The additional filters list is all set to off in both events. Block Anonymous Internet requests is set on. Firmware 1.00.19.

The only thing I can think is that there is a bug in the firewall code when you turn it off it "doesn't get out of the way".
cfroggett
Grafter

Re: Found a bug in Linksys

I turned off the firewall on my LinkSys (Security / Firewall / Firewall Protection Disable). When I disable this most sites work, but some, hotmail/msn etc do NOT. When I enable it, they all work again. The additional filters list is all set to off in both events. Block Anonymous Internet requests is set on. Firmware 1.00.19.

The only thing I can think is that there is a bug in the firewall code when you turn it off it "doesn't get out of the way".

So, turn the firewall on, do the settings as above, does it work now?
cfroggett
Grafter

Using a WAG54G...

Updated from http://www1.linksys.com/international/firmware.asp?intfwid=73&coid=6

Site says Version 1.00.19 but after updating via the Adminstration, Firmware Upgrade page on Linksys, reports version 1.01.6
?Huh

Just downloaded and did this, especially after finding the firewall bug, still 1.00.19 . .. . . . . . do you have a US upgrade? Go to Wireless, Basic, in Wireless channels how many do you have to pick from?
cfroggett
Grafter

Using a WAG54G...

?Huh

Firmware for WAG54G v2

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7796

http://xthost.info/wag54g/ still down

ftp://ftp.biuro.fen.pl/sterowniki/Linksys/Linksys%20WAG54G%20v.2/

WAG54GV2_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.01.01_000_code.zip

Works fine on mine - fixed my wireless drop out issues, performance seems pretty good thoughput wise (still to measure).

Haven't checked to see if the firewall bug still exists - will do.