cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Plusnet Wireless Broadband through BT Openworld

N/A

Has anyone actually got this working?

Just did a pilot trial at a local McDonalds (definitely BT Openworld) and went through the login with Plus net successfully, and then clicked on Proceed which opened another browser window with exactly the same contents as the successful Plus net login. Checks of what I could access showed that I was still limited access. Further checks using other browsers (to make sure that this was not a Javascript support issue) resulted in exactly the same issue.

The other posts in this forum do not describe much of any success, and this looks to me like the Plusnet Wireless Service is less a service, more an experiment.

What are other people's experiences?
11 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Using Plusnet Wireless Broadband through BT Openworld

I tried to use it for the first time today and had exactly the same problem as you. I tried emptying my cache, deleting cookies, using Firefox, using my PocketPC. The result was the same every time, I couldn't get past the "proceed" page.

I've submitted a support ticket.
N/A

I had exactly the same on my first attempt (MacDonalds) but once I lowered my security settings and allowed cookies it went through OK - ish.
N/A

My problems were not caused by cookie security settings, I always allow cookies.

I sucessfully used my PocketPC at Watford Gap services today, using exactly the same setup as failed at South Mimms.

My support ticket on the issue has shown that Plusnet have managed reproduce the problem on another hotspot and are planning to fix it.
N/A

In the ticket, do they state what the actual problem is?
N/A

Unfortunately not.
N/A

This still appears to be an issue, as I had this exact problem at two different McDonalds outlets in Milton Keynes this evening...

I have also put in a detailed ticket.

--
Cheers, Ian.
N/A

At least you get wireless net access in mcds. Around were i live they dont do anything like that.
LiamM
Grafter

mmm.... McWifi..... McOpenzone
N/A

McRap?
McRubbish?
McDoesn't work 'cause it has a BT logo on it?
N/A

At least you get wireless net access in mcds. Around were i live they dont do anything like that.

Well, you're not missing much.

Milton Keynes doesn't have that many BT OpenZone hotspots really. Out of the 31 hotspots listed there are a total of 5 which are operated by BT OpenZone. One is at a conference centre, one is at Comet, and the other three are located in McDonalds outlets. None of these are places where I would actually choose to go and use WiFi on the road if I needed to (well maybe the conference centre if you can get access to it). When I ran my test last night I couldn't face going into McDonalds and looking like a tosser, so I tested it from outside in the car.

The sooner they get hotspots into more useful places like planes and trains the better, as that is where people are more likely to want access, not in the train station itself for example. After all, people don't turn up an hour or two early at a train station just to browse the web, and usually connections are too close together to make it worth firing up a laptop as well. Airports are a little different I guess, but only because we are forced to turn up two hours early by the airlines.

The sooner PlusNet get more partners the better too!

I still won't be using WiFi much even if the above happens, as the charging model is a rip off, but I've whined about that in another post within this forum, so search my posts if you're remotely interested in that!

Apparently this login issue I had last night is a known problem, and PlusNet have actioned my ticket with:

Closed : The customer's PlusNet Residential Wireless PAYG Service #06041541 which is currently active was refreshed.

Whatever that means!

I'm off to try it again in a little while, so will report back on whether or not I had any success with it.

--
Cheers, Ian.
N/A

Well, I'm sitting outside Maccy D's in my car at the moment, having closed the ticket on the portal, and just thought I'd let you know that whatever PlusNet did, it seems to have fixed my login issue.

--
Cheers, Ian.