cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading ADSL modem/router to wireless

N/A

Hi,
I have a Netgear 814 (from memory - I'm at work now) ADSL modem/router and want to change to a wireless set-up to give the childrens' PC access.
Is it best to buy a new wireless ADSL modem/router or can I just buy a wireless router and have the 2 routers in series. For whatever set-up what would anyone recomend?
Thanks,
Dave
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Wireless Access Points, which plug into your existing router to give you a wireless connection, can be expensive and also have a lot of compatibility problems, especially when connected to a router from a different manufacturer. Also having the two devices can make the setup (and future management) more complex.

My advice is to go for an all in one devices like the Netgear DG834G which you should be able to get for about £90. It's very easy to setup and has a good track record for home use. It also has one of the best wireless ranges around so if you have thick walls or a long distance between it and your other wireless PCs it could be an advantage. I have used the non-wireless version (DG834) for the past 2 years and it has been almost fautless and very reliable.
N/A

Thanks for the advice Peter.
I agree about Netgear devices. My current router has been very reliable & installation/setup is easy.
N/A

You might want to try Dixons shops as quickly as you can - I got a Netgear DG834GT (108mb) for £65 the other day with free USB adaptor. This is an absolute bargain. They still had lesser models for £90. I guess someone over-stocked, they had stacks in Preston.

I notice it now says out of stock on their website and is a higher price. Like I say, try the shops. This router replaced my previous Netgear model and both have been totally reliable and easy to use.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

WiFi Upgrade

My advice is to go for an all in one devices like the Netgear DG834G which you should be able to get for about £90.........

I too am looking for an upgrade to WiFi. I have a Netgear DG814 router modem and want to go down the path of either the 834 G, 834GT or the 834 PN. I've asked for guidance on the netgear support pages. prompt replies are superb but an understanding of the question seems to be missing the mark. A considered breakdown in laymans terms would be great
Thanks
Andy
P.S. you can also buy from the PN Shop which seems to have comparable pricing to many others.
I forgot to mention that it has to work perfectly with an apple airport extreme (80??g ) card in an apple mac G4 powerbook.