cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsecured Wireless Network

markwood

Hi,

I've just gone wireless but my network is showing as unsecured. How do I change it to be a secured network? Thanks! M
9 REPLIES
N/A

What router?

It depends on the router but basically all will have 2 or 3 option to set up wep or similar you have to enter a key that people will need to connect. It then wont let anyone in without the key so you then have to enter the same key on the pc and set the wireless card to the same level as the router ie wep and enter the key before you can connect. You only have to do this once.

You can also set it up to only let certain mac address in and with this you have to tell it the mac address of the pcs connecting. This is not so secure but simpler and keeps out 99.999% of people
markwood

Thanks,

Router is Belkin.
Slick
Grafter

im on belkin and have wep and mac address filtering on so its both supported,

login to router with this in your browser 192.168.2.1

then login to the router with your passy (blank is default and i would advise to changing it)

the rerst is self explanitry just follow the on screen instructions
holdtight
Grafter

If your belkin supports it use WPA or WPA-2 instead of WEP security

WPA is more secure than WEP which can be easily hacked with a small amount of knowledge and a little software

Also change your routers default login name which is usually left blank or its admin by default on most routers and make sure you disable SSID broadcast

With mac address filtering enabled that will give you a far more secure router

Bill.
N/A

Also worth changing the SSID to something you can easily remember and can't easily be guessed.

When setting your password for WPA-PSK (which I absolutely agree you should use if you can) consider using the GRC.com password generator- using one of their passwords (generated on the fly just for you) will make your network just about imune to brute force attacks. Copy the key to a USB (or floppy) drive and paste it into each computer to avoid potential typing mistakes.
AndyR
Grafter

McAfee Total Protection has a Wireless Management section. It will protect your network. Using the Tools section you can set McAfee to WPA2; with the package to change your WPA key every three hours, or whatever frequency you set it at.
It manages other users on your network with Administrator settings if needed.
Using the Admin settings you can see what the key is at any time - you can manually rotate the key, no one can hack in as they cannot get enough packets to interrogate before the key is changed.

Andrew
The_10th
Grafter

You may find this helpful.
The_10th
Grafter

Also worth changing the SSID to something you can easily remember and can't easily be guessed.

To be a bit sneaky, why not Type in an SSID of a completely different product e.g. if using a Linksys router, type in BT Home Hub. :lol:
markwood

Thanks for all your help..... all sorted - I think!!