cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under 2Mb/S on supposed 8Mb WiFi - what gives?

N/A

Thanks for the reply but your request is lost on me. All I can tell you is that the external WiFi modem connects to the lappy at 54MbPS but, within that, the speed I can download is around 2MbPS, verified by numerous speed-test sites/applications.

Ta.
11 REPLIES
N/A

I've had a wireless connection for a while but have noticed that - despite a supposed increase from a 2Meg to 8Meg connection - I don't even get 2Mb anymore. Anyone offer any advice why this might be, or, more importantly, how to cure it?

Details available if necessary.

Ta
N/A

Without details we cant really comment. Do you mean the speed between the router and pc or the connection speed?

Post details of snr line stats router etc
AndyMan
Grafter

Can you plug your lappy into the modem with a cable ? try speed testing then, if the results are the same then its your net connection thats slowing you. If your speed is a lot faster via cable than wifi then its proably to do with your MTU setting ,do a search for "TCP Optimizer" , download it and run it. Let it set your settings to optimum and see if that sorts it ...
N/A

Thnaks. I used the TCP optimiser but once it's installed, cannot find the control panel for it. I get the initial controls but after a reboot it's gone. No noticeable increase on speed either.

Perhaps I'll try your cable suggestion.

Ta.
N/A

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I have installed a
Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router and the speed
of the connection (downstream) is only 286Kbps !
The line is supposed to go up to 8M
(as confirmed by PlusNet)

I tried to connect at different days and times but
no change. Can anyone help ?
thanks
N/A

Have you tried connecting directly to the router via ethernet and seeing if that makes a difference to your speed?

Also worth posting the results of the BT Speedtest which contains information that will be useful for troubleshooting (see here for help).
N/A

Dear lestones,

the figures were in fact for a ethernet connection, not wireless.
This is the full picture:

DSL Status : Up
DSL Modulation Mode : ADSL2+
DSL Path Mode : INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate : 187 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 286 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 31 db
Upstream Margin : 24 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 31
Upstream Line Attenuation : 10
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

I am 2.7 Km from exchange (so attenuation fogure seems right) and the status is green
any idea ? can bad wiring in flat / bad splitters account
for such huge loss in speed ?

I will try to run the tests that you suggest.
thanks
N/A

PS

I cannot even run the BT speed test. I get an 'unexpected
error' as soon as I digit my phone number and click GO Cry
clockley
Grafter

The distance from the exchange will be a major factor in your speeds. Upto 8Mb all depends on how many people connect to the exchange, your distance from the exchange and the time of the day. I live 1.7 kilometres from my exchange and the best speeds I have got are around 3.2Mb despite having upto 8Mb connection and BT says I could get upto and around 4Mb.

Persevere with the BT test site, as it usually works better off peak, when less people are using it.

Hope this helps,

Carl Lockley
N/A

Dear Carl,

Plusnet finally refreshed my line from exchange and now i'm getting 7.3 at connection and 5.7 at various speed tests
lets hope that it lasts....

regards
clockley
Grafter

Without going into your account this may just be as a result of the refresh, and for around 10 days you will get different speeds. If this is the case, reboot your router twice a day for the remainder of the 10 days. This will send delta reports through on the speed, and allow a better average speed on your line, rather than one that is too fast and causes frequent drops in service.

Any issues, just let me know.

Carl Lockley