cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect throgh router

rodjer14
Dabbler

I have Apple Mac iMac and iBook computers running OSX 10.4.7 and want to access PlusNet from anywhere in the house via WiFi through my Broadband connection. I have purchased a Netgear DG834GT router and connected it to the DSL line through the usual filter supplied by PlusNet. Whilst I have no problems connecting to PN via the Voyager 105 I don’t seem to be able to connect via the Netgear router even though the computers are located next to the router.

The computers appear to connect to the router as it shows a router address of 198.168.0.1 In the DNS Servers box I have put 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50, which are the numbers given by PN in my “Connection Settings”. With all this done I don’t seem to be able to connect to PN. Do I need to put anything into the DHCP Client ID box? What else do I have to do to connect up to PN?

I have the same problem in trying to connect with the Ethernet cable. The computer picks up the router but not PN.

I need someone who understands Apple Macs to help me.

Jeremy
[/url]
3 REPLIES
N/A

It is not a Mac problem, but a TCP/IP router config one. You can see the router, but not the internet because your DNS servers are incorrect. You are not using the modem any more..

1) Connect to the router through the network cable and type 192.168.0.1 from your browser to enter setup.

2) Enter your login name and password and ensure that the router uses DHCP.

3) Save and exit

4) Configure your Macs TCP/IP to use DHCP, so remove the PlusNet DNS servers (212.159.13.49-50) as these are not needed/incorrect. The router will be both your DNS server and your DHCP server. So, IP address etc.. will be assigned by the router as you connect.

5) Now, you should be able to connect to the internet

the IP address assigned to the laptop should be 192.168.0.2 while both the DNS server and DHCP server are 192.168.0.1 (the router)

If this works, go back to the router configuration and set up the sort of encryption you want. Then see if you can detect the router using the wireless card in your machines. Whatever password you set on your router, will have to be entered on the Macs. The wireless connection should now work,
N/A

I have the same problem...

Hi!
Excuse me for my english, I'm italian and I need help.
I have a new MacBook running OS 10.4.7 and I can't connect my Usb Modem Voyager 105 'cause my computer seems not see the Modem. So I bought a router adsl wi fi but it doesn't working and I think now I know why. For to connect to the internet the modem it needs to call a number (0,38 in my case) but a router can't call a number. So I think that if you have chose an internet connection with your provider (PlusNet in this case) trought a modem usb and not trought Ethernet, maybe is not possible install a router. I don't know if what I said is correct but is the only thing I can think. Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Paola
rodjer14
Dabbler

Thank you Melstinks for your assistance. I have been away for a few days and finally connected up today through the ethernet cable and wifi. I am now a happy bunny.