cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to authenticate at a hotspot

N/A

Hi there,

I registered for the Wireless Broadband service yesterday, and today, on my way home from work, I stopped at a BT Openzone hotspot. However, I wasn't able to authenticate using the BT Openzone interface, it just kept giving me an authorisation denied message.

Is there a magic URL that I need to visit in order to authenticate using my username and password as provided by PlusNet? Or do I have to use something additional to my username, ie. <username>@plus.com or similar?

It does seem obvious from the "Your PlusNet WiFi account" email what I need to do to get authenticated! Perhaps it's different from hotspot to hotspot, so you're unable to provide complete instructions?

If it's supposed to "just work" then I can report that it doesn't seem to and, if that's an appopriate step, then I'll do so through the tickets system, but please let me know if there's anything obvious that I've missed.

TIA.

Cheers,

Mark T.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Unable to authenticate at a hotspot

I've found some of the answers at:

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/wireless_broadband_laptop_user_guide.shtml

It would probably be worth mentioning this link in the registration email Smiley

Regarding step 9 ("You will then be presented with a list of available providers. Click on the PlusNet logo to access the Wireless Broadband service.") - I didn't see a PlusNet logo to click on at the hotspot I was at (and I was looking!). Is it the case that not all hotspots with BT Openzone access support PlusNet access?

FWIW, I was using a The Cloud (www.thecloud.net) hotspot.
N/A

FWIW, I was using a The Cloud (www.thecloud.net) hotspot.

The Cloud's hotspots are available to BT's own Wifi customers, but not to their partners' customers. So no, you can't use your PlusNet account on a Cloud hotspot.
N/A

So no, you can't use your PlusNet account on a Cloud hotspot.

Ok, fair enough. I think I was misled by the link on the page at http://portal.plus.net/features/wireless/wireless_minutes_info.shtml for "Visit the hotspot directory for a full list of access points.", which links to http://www.btopenzone.com/find/index.jsp .

It might be worthwhile clarifying exactly what hotspots listed in that directory will and won't work - obviously it's only those who are operated by "BT Openzone" and not the others (eg. "T-Mobile", "The Cloud").

So, looks like I'm restricted to McDonald's and PC World atm then. Wink Ah well, hope some more compatible hotspots appear in due course!
N/A

I must admit, the list supplied bt BT Openzone is pretty poor.

Let me see what information I can wraggle up Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Do you know which Hotspot you were at?

I've only got one near me, and haven't had chance to try it yet, it's a pub and has both The Cloud and BT Openzone listed as operators.
LiamM
Grafter

Hmm, I didnt realise this. That makes it a lot poorer in my opinion. The BT Openzone coverage is very poor. They have 10 times more 'The Cloud' partnered hotspots than they do their own.

No plans to alter this in the future then?
N/A

Do you know which Hotspot you were at?

I was at a The Cloud operated hotspot in the C0ck And Camel pub in Oxford. I went there specifically because of the name. :lol: (LOL - the forums just tried to censor "c0ck" so i had to use a 0 instead of an o Tongue)

They have 10 times more 'The Cloud' partnered hotspots than they do their own.

Yeah, foolishly I'd just assumed that all hotspots which BT Openzone customers could use could be used by us PlusNetters. It does significantly reduce the chance I'm going to get to use a hotspot (I don't like McDonalds, or PC World Wink) but now that I understand that the "menus are in java" i think that precludes me from simply using my PDA at the hotspots anyway.

Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed for a more widespread, accessible service at some point in the future.
craigbrass
Grafter

Well thats fairly crap if you can't use the cloud ones as they are all the cloud in my area :-

1 Golden Lion 0.4 miles Bar/Pub Botchergate Carlisle CA1 2EE The Cloud BT Openzone

2 Cranemakers 0.4 miles Bar/Pub 43 London Road Carlisle CA1 2JZ The Cloud BT Openzone

3 Jumpin Jaks 0.4 miles Club Unit 7 Portlands Carlisle CA1 1RF The Cloud BT Openzone

4 St Nicholas Arms 0.4 miles Bar/Pub 47 London Road Carlisle CA1 2LE The Cloud BT Openzone

5 The Griffin 0.5 miles Bar/Pub Court Square Carlisle CA1 1QX The Cloud BT Openzone

6 Woodrow Wilson 0.5 miles Bar/Pub 42 Botchergate Carlisle CA1 1QS The Cloud BT Openzone

7 Whitehouse 0.6 miles Bar/Pub Warwick Road Carlisle CA1 1DN The Cloud BT Openzone

8 Pippins 0.7 miles Bar/Pub Lowther Street Carlisle CA3 8EQ The Cloud BT Openzone

9 Travel Inn - Carlisle (Central) 0.7 miles Hotel Carlisle Swisscom-Eurospot None

10 Beehive 0.9 miles Bar/Pub Warwick Road Carlisle CA1 1LH The Cloud BT Openzone
LiamM
Grafter

I concur, I hope this hasn't been a product heavily invested in. Personally I can't see it doing very well.
N/A

I concur, I hope this hasn't been a product heavily invested in. Personally I can't see it doing very well.

I'll agree with that, prolly be about as successfull as cyber-cafe's, personally I don't really see the point of them. But then perhaps I'm spoilt with internet at home and a T1 connection at work Wink
N/A

Hi There

As is mentioned earlier there is a reciprocal arrangement between some providers, BT, T-Mobile and The Cloud which at the moment is not available for partners.

However this does not mean that it will not become available and we will not be able to roam in the future. We are in discussions to see what we can do with this but as of yet I have no more info, when I do I will let you know.