cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to connect to a public proxy server

N/A

Greetings

Having just received the 2 DVD set of "Step into Liquid" I obviously want to watch it in glorious wmvHD but can't get a licence, being in the UK. I'm told the "easy" way round this is to use a US based public proxy server:

The problem is, I have no idea how to go about this Shockedops:

I connect to Plusnet using a wireless router (an Ovislink Airlive WL-8064ARM)

If someone would go through the proceedure involved, I would be eternally grateful

Pete
6 REPLIES
N/A

First find your proxy server by doing a google search for free proxies. Having got that and most of them give you details of location speed etc.

Go into IE and in the connection settings choose connect via a proxy enter the address and set it for all protocols and your done. You can normally do this on the fly and change it very easy.

I cant give exact instructions as you dont say which version of IE you use but there all under internet tools connections
N/A

Thanks for the assist, but I'm still up the creek:

I think the problem is that I run a small wireless Lan and my internet connection is through a wireless router.

In IE 6,
>TOOLS
>INTERNET OPTIONS
>CONNECTIONS

Everything is greyed out except SETUP, ADD & LAN Settings
There is nothing in the Internet Conections box; does this mean I need to setup a connection specifically to use the proxy?

If I click on LAN Settings I can setup a proxy, but I then have no connection to the internet.

Pete
N/A

You have it its under the lan settings and tick bypass proxy for local settings. Some proxies dont work so you may have to try a few to get it to work and some do change. As long as you bypass proxy for local address it should work
N/A

Thanks for your patience, but this thing has got me beat....

If I try to use a proxy with a high latency IE justhangs about waiting for a reply from whatever site I try to visit; but if I use a proxy with a low latency (30) IE very quickly tells me it cannot display the webpage:

This seems to indicate it has accessed the proxy, but can't use it proper! Could this have something to do with my firewalls ( I have a hardware one in the router, Windoze firewall and McAfee has one as well.

I'm Stuffed

Pete
N/A

Try this proxy as I know it works
160.36.57.173 port 8888

If the firewall isnt letting the port through then it wont work in this case you would have to let port 8888 through and there is also the Plusnet firewall if you have got that turned on.

There is no point in having windows firewall and mcafee on as well it will be imposable to work out whats blocking what. It will be slowing down your pc and your browsing
N/A

Am I making progress?

Progress!....I think.....

Disabled the Plusnet firewall, chucked-out the McAfee one, made a hole in the Hardware one in the router & set windows to low And I canwork with the proxy you suggested.....

Until I load the DVD with Step into Liquid & it goes to the "Aquiring Licence" screen, then it tells me "This computer appears not to be connected to the internet"

So near, yet so damn far..... Have you any suggestions as to what I can try now, or should I just watch the film in SD and stop trying to be clever?

Pete