cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The REAL Openzone Site List please?

N/A

I signed up and paid my first subscription expecting to be able to use my laptop at all the advertised "hotspots" around the country. I travel extensively around the UK and spend a lot of time away from home. When I then try to connect at a "hotspot" on the list, I find that I can't because it belongs to T-Mobile, the Cloud or somebody else. A completely "coldspot" in my case. So why won't anyone publish a list of sites that we CAN use instead of a list of sites that we can use about 12% of? Because the list would be so empty that nobody would pay for the privelige, that's why. I feel that I have been sold this service under false pretences. No wonder the customer services guy sounded rather despondent when I rang for more details, but he wouldn't be allowed to say "don't waste your money" now would he?
8 REPLIES
N/A

What false pretenses?

It was never claimed you could use the Cloud or others like T-mobile.

The May Hotspot directory can be downloaded HERE
N/A

Thanks for pointing me to the right list. Bit different to the one I saw, BT claiming to be the biggest provider of these services. Sure, if you sign up with them instead of +Net and use all the providers they have teamed up with. The service +Net can provide is pretty dismal in comparison though and still quite expensive. If it weren't for good old MacDonald's it certainly wouldn't be worth bothering with. But I like PlusNet and hate knocking them so please.... hurry up and sort the "partner" agreement.... :?:
N/A

PlusNet WiFi access is not that bad - BTOpenzone mightn't have given them the best deal. The problem is that the wifi industry in general is very confusing but over time operators are starting to cooperate. If you want to widest range of hotspots you might look into joining up with BTOpenzone directly - with their partnerships and international roaming they have a lot of hotspots but it will be more expensive. There are very few operators that provide per minute pricing which suits me better - paying 5-6 pounds to check your email or look up a website is a bit expensive. Readytosurf, PlusNet and Trustive seem to be the only one's providing per minute billing. I've no idea why the operators insist on per hour billing. Can you imagine mobile companies charging per hour whether your conversation last an hour or not. When 3G becomes prevalent and cheaper it will probably make WiFi redundant.
N/A

I am having the same problem, the hotels where I stay use a totally different wifi provider to BT Openzone (no agreement in place), they also impose transfer limits as well as time limits :roll: nightmare!

It looks like I am going to have to go down the 3G route, however it could actually work out cheaper as I only check e-mail.
N/A

No Partners

Having had the same problem this week, it is interesting now to read these posts complaining that Plusnet publish a misleading list which were posted 10 months ago!

Is it that they don't read these posts or that they sell more by misleading?
N/A

Re: No Partners

Having had the same problem this week, it is interesting now to read these posts complaining that Plusnet publish a misleading list which were posted 10 months ago!

Is it that they don't read these posts or that they sell more by misleading?

I'm afraid it's even worse than that.

1. Not all BTOpenzone hotspots can be used as some of them are actually "Partnerships" with other providers.

2. PlusNet have advised me that they do not, and will never, support Pocket PC browsers. When you try to log in via PlusNet you just loop round to the same page again! Very frustrating.

PlusNet's Wireless Broadband looks really good in theory, but in practise it is no use to me.

Regards

Martin
N/A

works fine in my local mc d's using a dell axim pocket pc
N/A

Update on public WiFi access please

I too think I bought the proverbial "pig in a poke" with PlusNet public WiFi access restricted to only those cells physically operated by BT Openzone. As pointed in previous posts, BT Openzone rely heavily on their "partnership" with The Cloud for their coverage, a partnership that PlusNet have been unable or unwilling to join. The promise of working to forge other links has been there unfulfilled since PlusNet started to offer their public WiFi facility. How long ago was that? In the absence of any public pronouncement, I believe that the offering is still as restricted as previously.

But, I notice that The Cloud is introducing some remarkable "all you can eat" pricing from 4 July. See http://www.thecloud.net/content.asp?section=4&content=57
When this pricing was originally announced, The Cloud announced that it really wanted to partner other providers (ie be a wholesaler), and considered itself to be a retailer of last resort. So, come on PlusNet, where is your retail offering?

Or are you too distracted selling land line telephony?

Jeff