cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and quality varies on Wireless connection

N/A

I have a problem with my wireless connection. when I log on the connection strength is 54Mbs and then within a few minutes drops down. The machine is in the same position and the signal can drop to 2.0MBps and then cut out completely. on occasion it fluctuates between 48Mbps and 11Mbps. My work Laptop has a strong signal constantly (Its a BT machine) wheras at this very moment my Personal Laptop is 2.0Mbps with a "fair" signal quality. I realise this could be a hardware problem. I am using a Buffalo WMR-G54 and an Asus W2VB Laptop. Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Interference is normally the problem. As it has to resend packets if it doesnt get them which reduces the speed. It can be anything causing the problem from microwave,tv, dec phone, power cables,street lights, sky and load of other things.

Very often moving a few feet can make all the differance if its local. I allway get a small portable radio tune it off a channel and walk around with it near the router and pc and see if you suddenly get noise. Ths often shows the problem up. I found with mine it was a playstation which was plugge din but turned off.
N/A

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I've changed the channel and that appears to have helped also. Also I downloaded net stumbler to check the SNR and it varies between 68 to 75 and the Signal+ is -25, is this normal/good?
holdtight
Grafter

My neibour had the same problem and when i took a look he had a fridge freezer in between his router and pc

Fridges are one of the worse conductors of interference and once the router was shifted his connection was fine

So as mwright points out moving the router just a couple of inches / feet or seeing what obstacles the signal are trying to get through can make all the difference
N/A

Thanks