cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection speed

N/A

Slow connection speed

Hi There,

I've recently got connected to Plusnet's 2MB unmetered service and I can't seem to get a decent connection speed. I have 2 PCs, 1 is a desktop running Win Me, connected to a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL router via a DWL-G122 USB (1.1) adapter. The other is an IBM thinkpad T41p using a wireless lan mini PCI adapter, Win XP, which also connects to the router.

With the laptop I can get very close to 2Mbps, but with my desktop, the best I can get is 433kbps, although it averages 400kbps

I was thinking of buying a USB 2.0 card to see if that would make any difference, the other option was to upgrade to Win XP, although I'm not sure if either of these options will help. Alternatively, I don't have a NIC in the desktop otherwise I could check whether a wired coneection on my desktop would be any better.

I have the following security options enabled WPA & Mac address access control, don't know if this affects anything, although doesn't seem to affect the laptop.

Can anyone give me any help on this?
Thanks
G
11 REPLIES
N/A

Slow connection speed

As the connection speed seems to be close to expected on the Thinkpad, I would be tempted to try using a wired (or wireless) network card.
Given the limitations of Me, it would probably be easier to use a wired card if you can help it.
Most businesses with IT departments tend to have loads knocking about the place, so you might be able to find someone who could lend you one to test with.
N/A

Slow connection speed

Thanks for the tip, I've actually managed to do just that. I've borrowed a wired NIC and 2.0 USB PCI card to try out at home, just need to find the time to install them now. Will send an update after trying both. I'm hoping that the 2.0 USB card solves it, as I don't really want to have to trail a cable upstairs for a wired connection.

G
N/A

Slow connection speed

Ah, sorry, didn't realise that the Me box wasn't in the same room as the router.
Could be that the signal strength is dropping off due to a weak signal.
Cold spots can be caused by all manner of things, but as a general rule, try to keep antenna's away from cables, and metalwork (girders and the like)
It might be that a USB extension lead might answer your problem if it enables you move the antenna about in the room and get a stronger signal.
Netgear also sell a product which plugs into a power socket and a spare port on your router, and then has a seperate box which plugs into an available socket in the room you want the signal boosting in. (a home version of a repeater - each component is about the size of a large plug in transformer)
Not sure of the cost of these, but they'll defo cost more than trying the extension, or the components you've borrowed. Let us know how you get on. Cool
N/A

Slow connection speed

The signal strength is about 30-40% do you think this could be the problem? I haven't tried putting the router (wirelessly) right next to the ME box just to see what an improved signal would be like, I'll add that to the to do list too. But the thinkpad still works fine when it's in the same room as the ME box, although it reports the signal strength as excellent, I guess that's because the wireless card in the thinkpad is far superior than the USB adapter I'm using in the ME box. I'll bear that repeater solution in mind if the other options don't work, thanks.

G
N/A

Slow connection speed

My thinkpad, (can't remember the model) has a built in 802.11g wireless LAN (AKA 54g). The optimum speed for this is 54Mbs, versus the 11Mbs of a 802.11b card.
Obviously in terms of your connection to the web, either speed will be faster than your ADSL connection, so no probs with that.
However the 54g standard has a better range, so perhaps an upgrade of the wireless network card on the Me box might help (if its not already using the 'g' standard)
Sorry to keep coming up with ideas...
N/A

Slow connection speed

The USB adapter is a DWL-G122 from D-Link. The blurb says:

Product Features:
• Up to 54Mbps*
• 802.11g Standard, 802.11b Compatible
N/A

Slow connection speed

Fingers crossed its one of the other ideas then Wink
N/A

Slow connection speed

As you've all been waiting with baited breath I'm sure - last night I finally got round to installing a 2.0 USB card and network interface card, the results are below:

Using the USB 2.0 card: No difference. I even moved the AP right next to the USB adapter so that the signal strength was 100%. No cigar.

Using the NIC: Connection speed lept up to around 600Kbps which is an improvement of approx 100% but still no-where near the consistent 1.8Mbps I can get with the laptop.

Do I ditch ME and trying upgrading to XP? Anyone got any other ideas on other settings I could change on ME box?

Frustrated.
G
N/A

Slow connection speed

I had a fiddle with the registry, and changed the DefaultRcvWindow value from
2144 to 34432640. Solved it!!!
N/A

Slow connection speed

Great news - what led you to the solution?
I assume you didn't just guess, or did you?
V Impressed Cheesy
N/A

Slow connection speed

Had a look on Google for optimsing broadband connection, found this website http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=119 followed the first suggestion - bingo.

I can now download at a rate of approx 230KBps (is that what it should be?), and my connection speed is consistently 1.8 - 2.0 Mbps. Compared to approx 56KBps and 330Mbps before, respectively.

Pep