cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I leave my connection on all the time?

Lampo
Grafter

Hi

I have had a quick look through the postings to see if anyone else has been asked this, as I'm sure it has somewhere.

My question is about leaving my wifi router swithed on all the time.

Even though I only use my connection in the evening, should I leave it connected when I am not using it i.e. during the day?

Thanks
Stewart
11 REPLIES
N/A

They are designed to be left on all the time, turning one off when not in use shouldn't cause any issue either - its down to your preference.

I leave mine on, except when I'm on holiday.
N/A

I used to turn mine off during the daytime when I am at work, thenturn it on again in the evenings.
It sjhould be a matter of choice, although the main reason for turning off is environmental. But now I daren't turn mine off during the daytime.
Due to my connection becoming unreliable I've had interleaving applied and my SNR margin pushed up. Now if I try to connect in the evening I'd probably drop to a lower bras profile.
So there are two factors to consider. Energy wastage and, if you don't have a very good Max connection, what speed you'll sync at in the evening, when sync speeds tend to be lower if you switch on or reboot with interleaving on.
holdtight
Grafter

I leave mine on, except when I'm on holiday.

Same here 24/7 unless im away for a while and as James rightly points out they are designed to be left on
Alecto
Grafter

My wife insists that I turn mine off at night. Cry
Community Veteran

What about your router? Tongue
Alecto
Grafter

I knew there were better ways of spending my time than on this forum............................................ :lol:
holdtight
Grafter

Yes Geoff and sometimes we forget and they can get the right royal hump well my better half does anyway
N/A

Mine says that I may as well not live in the same house.. or that I'm spending too much time away from the computer and doing some style-cramping.
Sometimes you can't win either way. Sad
Now I have a problem, my better half wants my router off when I'm out of the house and at night, but now I've had my SNR margin increased and interleaving applied, I can sync in the evenings at below the 2.5 bras threshold. What's the point of Max if, due to some unknown detorioration, you have speed limited so much that you can only sync over 2 mb in the morning?

BT has solved my problem for me, no turning off during the daytime.
N/A

Turning it off every night might save energy but by doing so causing early life failure, and the cost/damage to the environment for it's disposal.

Having solar panels, I leave mine on Wink As someone said earlier they're designed to be left on anyway.
N/A

Help!

Mine says that I may as well not live in the same house.. or that I'm spending too much time away from the computer and doing some style-cramping.
Sometimes you can't win either way. Sad
Now I have a problem, my better half wants my router off when I'm out of the house and at night, but now I've had my SNR margin increased and interleaving applied, I can sync in the evenings at below the 2.5 bras threshold. What's the point of Max if, due to some unknown detorioration, you have speed limited so much that you can only sync over 2 mb in the morning?

BT has solved my problem for me, no turning off during the daytime.

Do we really need to be experts to be able to get good connection and know what SNR,Max and interleaving etc. meansHuhHuhI switched the router off for the night and following morning(Sunday)could not get connection for half hour.Do other ISPs have the same problemsHuh?Very frustrating. :roll:
N/A

It seems that thanks to BT's implementation, anyone who can't spit at the exchange has to become an expert.
I knew nothing about Max until I got it and found my line was almost 5 kms long although I'm under 2 kms straight line from the exchange.

There were some problems with authentication servers over the weekend.