cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing FileMaker Pro database over the internet

oldgustav
Grafter

I'd like to share access to a FileMaker 5.3 database hosted on my PC to nominated Filemaker users. I thought that it would be a simple case of providing my fixed IP address to the other users and they would then see a list of hosted and shared database files, but this does not seem to be the case. If you have any helpful suggestions I'd be very grateful.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you using a USB modem or router? If a router, you need to setup port forwarding on it to allow external access to your internal PC and the relevant ports filemaker is listening on. What ports you need to forward you will have to find out from the documentation for filemaker.

Looking at www.portforward.com, filemaker uses port 5003 so that port must be forwarded to the IP address of your PC. That website also explains how to do poert forwarding on a number of routers.
oldgustav
Grafter

I'm using a Belkin Wireless Router. Many thanks for your fast response - I will follow up on your instructions - and let you know how I get on. Cheers again.
oldgustav
Grafter

Hello again. I have followed the instructions at portforward.com and set up the wireless router with port 5003 open. I have tested that I can access the hosted database on the home network - and I can see a list of open databases by simply entering the IP address of this machine (but I do this anyway through TCP/IP. What concerns me is that the IP address isn't unique. I was thinking that a remote user would enter a unique, static IP address such as the one set by PlusNet in the connection settings control panel. Have I now opened up my databases to the internet on the usual 192.XXX.XX.XX IP address? (I have disabled this on the router just in case). Also... I have set my internet connection with a static IP - following portforward's instructions (ipconfig/all - blah, blah) - but PlusNet says not to do this. Please advise.

Can I test I have it all set up correctly (and safely) by accessing the database files on the home network - but if you like going outside the home network and accessing the files via the internet?

Am I making a pig's ear of all this?Huh
N/A

If you have forwarded the ports correctly and also allowed it on any firewalls it should work ok. When you are away from home you enter your static ip address assigned by Plus net to get o your files and you should then be able to see them.

It does mean everyone else in the world can also see them and you are relying on Filemakers security to keept hem safe.