cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up for Buffalo WBMR - KG54

N/A

I finally dedided to buy a Buffalo WBMR - KG54 but am really struggling to set up a wireless network. I can get a wired internet connection - but not wireless on either PC or Laptop.
PC usesa WLI - U2 -KG54 adapter; Laptop a Dell wireless.
Should I use AOSS or manual.
Can anyone throw a desprate man any clues!!
Thanks.
Geoff
5 REPLIES
N/A

Using aoss should make it a breeze to connect watch the video here

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/aoss.php
N/A

That is what I thought! I have at last got laptop and desktop connecting to internet at the same time. BUT if I put security on the connection the laptop loses the connection.
AND i still cannot get them together as a workgroup so I can share files and printers.
I'll keep trying.
Geoff
N/A

If you turn security off it should be simple to connect all computers. The security can be a pain in the backside as it relies on the application that makes the connection and these are not all ways the best. If you go to the wired pc thats working and do start run then type ipconfig /all you will get a list of the ip default gateway etc. copy all these to the properties for the wireless on the other pc's but add one to the ip's last number so if the first pc is set to 10.0.0.1 then next one you set to 10.0.0.2 make sure you dont give it the same ip as the default gateway.

They should all then work. The other thing which sometimes causes problems is they are not all in the same workgroup so make sure they all have the same workgroup name and the router has the same sid as the workgroup. To share files etc you have to share some folders and a printer so you can see what to connect to

or type net use \\ pcname\c$ to connect via the command line.

If you can get it going without security we can try that later.
N/A

Thanks for your help. You won't be surprised to hear that Zone Alarm is the culprit. I have removed it and am relying on Windows Firewall; AVG and Plus Net.
I have put security into files and into the router and all is now working.
Thanks again.
Community Veteran

ZA has to know that your internal ip address range (192.168.whatever or 10.0.whatever) can be trusted and then it will all work fine. if you reenable ZA once you have your LAN running it will "learn" that it's safe and not block connections.
having said all that if your router has a decent NAT firewall you probably don't absolutely need ZA