cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router with wirless acces point

N/A

I was thinking of buying a new router but I may want to upgrade it to wireless n when it becomes available. I was thinking about turning off the wi-fi on the router then buying a wireless n access point to upgrade its speed when it becomaes available. Other than compatability are there any issues of doing this i.e in terms of bandwidth as opposed to having an all in one wireless router?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What do you hope to gain from using wireless N appart from spending a lot more money when it comes out?

The current G standard of 54Mbs is more than capable with dealing with even todays 24Mbs ADSL speeds so going faster again does not give you any real benefits.

Do you intend to do lots of inter-PC data transfers? If not, going to Wireless N is probably a waste of money at the moment when an all-in-one Netgear DG834G will be more than adequate for even the most intensive activities.

Also not all Wireless Access Point devices are compatible with all routers and it can complicate the setup when 2 devices are used.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I've got to agree with Peter - get yourself the Netgear router (I've got the DG834Gv2) - works perfectly, even for the most intense transfers (inter and intra net). Believe it's come down quite a bit in price too (cost me £120 last year - think it's about £65 now).
N/A

Can the DG834Gv2 manage intensive P2P transfers (eg utorrent)? A lot of routers just seem to crash or slow make the internet unusable when they are used.
Community Veteran

Yep, 500+ sessions and not a hint of a problem from mine - do ensure you are running the latest firmware though (3.01.25 here on a DG834v2 which is identical to the 834G except it does not have the wireless).