cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewiring house

N/A

Rewiring house

As part of a major renovation we want to replace our home telephones with a pair of cordless handsets including an answerphone base station (in the hall).

This has the advantage of getting rid of all the telephone cables around the house ... except that I want broadband in the new office upstairs.

So what's the best solution? - do I still have to hard wire a phone connection to the office to plug the wirelss modem in to?, or can it talk through the cordless base station as though it were another remote handset?, and what performance implications might there be?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Rewiring house

personally I would install cat5 cabling, that way you can locate the router at the master socket, and still hardwire to it.

Or run a telephone extension through the cat5 which is higher quality that standard telephone extensions.

This is what I did when I had a second phone line installed.

Chilly
N/A

Rewiring house

do I still have to hard wire a phone connection to the office to plug the wirelss modem in to?

Alternatively, assuming your choice of phones don't interfere with the router, could you not simply leave the router by the master socket and connect wirelessly?

If you need a four-port switch upstairs then some Netgear wireless print servers include these, and have the added benefit of allowing all the computers in the house to print to the same USB printer (check that your printer is compatible before purchasing).

Obviously wireless is less reliable than wired, and some companies will not allow you to connect to their network wirelessly, even if it's encrypted and you're using a VPN, so apologies if you've already dismissed this.
N/A

Rewiring house

Thanks for the responses people, you've certainly given food for thought though I'm not sure whether I'm any closer to the "silver bullet" answer!
N/A

Rewiring house

If practical, I would certainly recommend following Chillys advice, that of running Cat5 cabling within your house.

The preferred method IMO would be to run the Cat5 as a network cable, leaving the router plugged into the master socket, and using the hardwired network cable to connect to the router.

Its a much more reliable (and secure) method of connection to the router; even with the advances in wireless technology, they cannot match the throughput and reliability of a cabled connection.

You also get the benefit of having two pairs of cable spare running upstairs too; a Cat5 cable has 4 pairs of cable, although only 2 pairs are utilised for the network connection.

The two spare pairs can be utilised for a second network point for example, or you could use one pair for a telephone socket, and retain a spare pair in case somebody damages the cable (nail through a pair whilst DIY'ing for example)