cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quick Question

I have set up Sky Broadband for a family member, everythig went OK. They have a rather old Compaq Laptop, with only 1 USB 1.1 port. They also got a Netgear USB wireless adapter, thats labelled as USB2.0 They sync at 8096 Down, 488 Up, with a down SNR margin of 12, which I thought was pretty good. Speedtests on wired are in the region of 6500-7000. Using the wireless USB stick speedtests are around 2000-2500. I am assuming this is due to the slower throughput of wireless anyway, coupled with the slower speed of USB1.1 when its a USB2 stick. Can anyone confirm or offer advice?? Adapter says its connected at full speed, with Excellent connectivity.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Quick Question

to make a quick answer...

AFAIK - if your PC is only supporting USB 1.1 rather than 2.0 then yes, your throughput will be significantly lower, even though you have a USB2.0 dongle fitted.

I've found to my cost that if I tried to sync my pocket pc via a 1.1 port it takes sometimes 3 times as long as opposed to USB2.0

I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else knows different.

maybe the chillypenguin might be able to clarify Wink
Community Veteran

Quick Question

Both the USB1.1 and wireless will slow your connection, compared to hard wired Ethernet.

"Using the wireless USB stick speedtests are around 2000-2500." sounds about right, you may be able to get some more but not much. Even USB2.0 will not guarantee any better speed.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quick Question

Thanks.

My realtive hasnt even noticed the speed drop, as she is used to dial up, it was me that noticed. If she does, I will try and persuade her to get a better laptop, or a PC Card for wireless.