Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions...

craigbrass
Grafter

Questions...

Hiya,

Can we can DEFINATLY cancel without being charged if we cancel before the trial ends without being charged right?

Also, on the signup page, it asks for your credit card details, and THIS IS NOT ON A SECURE PAGE!!!! Also, Solo and Switch are not accepted and they should be as alot of people only have these cards.

Yours,
Craig Brass
9 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Questions...

Good point on both counts, what about visa electron ? is it the same as the one off payments to +net ( not accepted )
N/A

Questions...

Hi there,

At the minute you'll only be able to add a credit card, if you call support we should be able to manually add a switch card for you.

We don't take Solo or electron as we are unable to do so.

Regards,

Rich
craigbrass
Grafter

Questions...

Well thats a pain, I only have a solo card. You should really look into accepting Solo and Visa Electron as alot of ppl have them.
N/A

Questions...

Hi there,

this has been raised before, i'm not sure of the specifics on why we dont take them (i know its an issue with our bank) i'll re-raise this internally.

Regards,

Rich (has a solo card too Smiley )
holdtight
Grafter

Questions...

Yes that would be good Richard ! most online stores now take solo and electron for online buying those that say they dont (not many now) have got a way around this though and ive purchased many things using the electron regardless of it being a swipe only card,

i dont know what they do but they can and will put it through manually for me
especially it seems when they have difinately got a sale so i cant see why +net
cant accept this, i know you say its an issue with the bank that you use but they all work in more or less the same way
kitz
Rising Star

Questions...

There's a problem with debit cards in that they cant be used for " continuous" payments....
Debit cards can be used for "one off" payments.

Brief explanation of the difference between Switch & Electron cards:-

Switch cards are multi-function cards and also act as Bank Cheque Guarantee cards, and therefore are issued to bank customers after a credit rating search and proof of income/status.
Switch card payments cannot be returned due to lack of funds in a users account.. and the bank takes a commercial risk when they issue these cards to their customers.

Solo + Electron cards can only be used for electronic transactions where the users account is checked to ensure that there are sufficient funds in the account prior to the transaction taking place.
They can also be issued to "Minors" ie <18 years.

So at a guess Plusnet dont have the processing facilities for solo/electron
- it costs to have the equipment installed and PN would also have to pay a cut of what you pay to them for processing fees. This figure can vary but IIRC can be in the region of 3-10% commission.
kitz
Rising Star

Questions...

I know exactly how they do this. -
They process the transaction "as if it was a switch card".

Most of the time this wont get noticed...
That is until someone has used an electron card which has insufficient funds in their account.

Now imagine this transaction was for £30 and the account holder only has £1 in it.
The account holder may even be only 17 whereby the law states that you cant provide unsecured overdrafts to minors.
The bank has a hissy fit and returns the transaction to switch processing... switch then contact plusnets bankers.... Plusnets bankers debit Plusnets account with £30 and issue them with a stern warning for abusing the switch processing facilities.

If this happens more than a couple of times then the bank threatens to withdraw all debit card processing.
holdtight
Grafter

Questions...

I know exactly how they do this. -
They process the transaction "as if it was a switch card".

Most of the time this wont get noticed...
That is until someone has used an electron card which has insufficient funds in their account.

Thanks Kittz !
i did know most of that but the above i didnt and explains a lot, now i understand why it would be difficult but not impossible for +net to do this

all the times this issue has been raised if someone from CS had explained
as you have it would have been clear for many people a long time ago.

cheers
N/A

Questions...

There's a problem with debit cards in that they cant be used for " continuous" payments....
Debit cards can be used for "one off" payments.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Visa Delta Debit Card and that gets used for "continuous payments " .Its issued by Abbey but my previous one issued by nationwide was the same .Possibly it is because it is a Visa one .
Stuart