cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Netgear wireless

N/A

Help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.

I have been running a Netgear wireless router, and in general it's been great. I connect my desktop via cable, and use my laptop via wireless. At Christmas, all the bl**dy neighbours must have got new wireless PC's from Santa, because now I have 4 other networks which get picked up by my laptop. They clearly leave their "broadcast network ID" switched on.

I've configured XP to connect to my network first, through the wireless configuration setup, but my problem is this:

Even with this setup, when the laptop picks up another network, it drops my own and I lose my DSL connection. I have to double-click the connection icon and manually reconnect to my own router - this can take some minutes. If another network comes on, same again. It happened three times the other night and it's driving me nuts.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way XP works?

TIA.

JC
4 REPLIES
N/A

Do you know what channel your home network is on? Are your neighbours using the same channel? If so, change your home channel to an unused one and you might stop having these problems.
N/A

You need to get to the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" dialog tab and click on Advanced then make sure the "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" option is not checked.

That should help

Mike
N/A

Mike,

I found that box and it was checked, so I've done as you suggest and hopefully that will sort it!

Thanks alot.

JC
Eserim
Rising Star

you may want to hae a word with your neighbours too - as some less honest neighbours may try and stal their bandwidth - if they are broacasting the SSID then I'd bet some haven't limited the connected PCs to a list of MACs or enabled any encryption.

The same happened when I first went live, but very soon both of us his our SSID and now I don't see any others.

Chris