cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems With Belkin Router/Modem Dropping Connection.

N/A

I have got a desktop PC wired to my Belkin router/modem (F5D7632uk4A)and a laptop running wirelessly from it too. The wireless part is fine but I am occassionally losing my internet connection on both (I mainly use the desktop). I tried dropping the MTU that I read on here somewhere, from it's default setting of around 1440 to 1400, this seems to have helped a little. I think I have it setup correctly. PPOA, VM LUX, VPI 0, VCI 38 (or maybe other way round), and have everything else set automatically by the ISP. I think I may ring Belkin for some ideas as I am very new to this.

I am also having some problems using Bit Tornado, I am not a heavy user, couldn't be with PN :roll: But basically this program is saying that I am firewalled and as such it is working very slowly. This is despite having the firewall disabled on the router. I have even tried enabling it and setting up ports as described on portforward.com, but still just the same issues. I am tempted to go back to a USB modem as I really cannot be bothered with the grief. Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts please?
8 REPLIES
N/A

What account are you on as the lower accounts have an idle timeout on them? Secondly does your router have a setting for idle time out as a lot do. That would cause it.

If you are forwarding ports you must have a fixed ip on the pc you are forwarding to not a dynamic one. On most routers you have to save and reboot the rooter for it to work.

Port forwarding is nothing to do with the firewall(it can indirectly)
N/A

Re: Problems With Belkin Router/Modem Dropping Connection.

I have got a desktop PC wired to my Belkin router/modem (F5D7632uk4A)and a laptop running wirelessly from it too. The wireless part is fine but I am occassionally losing my internet connection on both (I mainly use the desktop). I tried dropping the MTU that I read on here somewhere, from it's default setting of around 1440 to 1400, this seems to have helped a little.

I've got this problem after switching to ADSL MAx recently (I've got the same Belkin router).

Have you solved this problem?

What is worrying is that I tried my old "noname" router, and it seems to work fine. That may mean some incompatibility between PN and ceratin Belkin routers...
Slick
Grafter

belkin are no help wotso eva
i tried them when i struggle but had no joy
so i called plusnet who gave me the settings to use.
im always on with no connection timeouts
i play games in the evenings
i dl from the net using utorrent (bittornado sux get rid of it)
and i get speeds of up to 500kb/sec

its not the router, turn on the firewall and
contact plusnet.
or if you prefer i will try and help here
N/A

its not the router, turn on the firewall and
contact plusnet.
or if you prefer i will try and help here

I contacted PN support but the only thing they've suggested is to try to raise a line fault with BT, no any changes have been suggested.

I've tried playing around with MTU size as some people suggested, but no luck there.

What have you done to fix the problem?
Slick
Grafter

what information do you need
i would personally get a pin and restore the factory settings
on the back of the router and start over.
MAKE SURE THE LEASE TIME IS SET TO FOREVER

it could also be the line throttling they do to see what your line will handle. this will cause disconections with your broadband for approx 3/4 weeks. have you passed that point?
N/A

I also have this problem with another Belkin Router (Pre-N F5D8630UK4A) ever since I changed from by 3com router. I haven't got the technical background to sort this out so I suspect I will bin the Belkin router
Liam
Grafter

Belkin routers by default seem to have a timeout option in there.

If there is an Idle Timeout setting, change it to '0' or 'off'. If not, there may be a "Keep Alive", option?
N/A

Mine is coming with that option disabled by default.
It doesn't drop connection completely, but connection rather "stalls" with speedtester showning speeds about 100kbps on "Max" connection with sync speed about 4500, I've seen that "stalling" outbreak two days ago again.
It coinsided with havy rain, though.
Does it mean I should ask BT to investigate that problem ?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules