cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please recommend some equipment

N/A

I have been using a SPEEDTOUCH modem/router but now I want to go wireless

What equipment would you recommend or which to avoid.
I will need to conect at least 3 laptops/pc's
6 REPLIES
N/A

are you happy with the router or would you like to replace it?

If you wish to replace it then you can get a good wireless router and adsl modem combined like the Netgear DG834G for a good price. I'm sure you could get three PCMCIA cards and the router for about £110 if you go for .b card. Obviously more if you want to get .g cards.

If you just want to keep the router you have then you need a wireless access point and the pcmcia cards. Netgear again do good cards and access points although I couldn't say on price.
N/A

I think thats a good idea
what do you think about the NETgear GT 108
N/A

I've not come across that Netgear unit as yet; however will go and have a look. As it has the GT in there I'm assuming that's one of the newere 108Mbps units which are nice. Don't forget that's a maximum burst speed and not a continous throughput therefore it won't be as fast as a wired LAN connection - fine for t'internet though. The 108Mbps PCMCIA cards aren't overly cheap but are a worth investment.

Main thing I can recommend is to use the same manufactuer for all the hardware you need as I've seen and heard of lots of cross-manufactuer incompatibilites. Don't be drawn by the lure of cheap manufactured PCMCIA cards to pair up with a nice router/access point
N/A

that sounds like good advice
N/A

Hi there,

You may find this page useful in your quest.

you will not be disappointed with netgear kit.
N/A

that site was very good