cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbe question

N/A

Newbe question

Hi I`m considering going wireless.
One thing I`m wondering is, at present I`m running my broadband through an extension cable to my spare bedroom. Will going wireless help my connection speed by doing away with the extension?
I`m assuming the modem / router connects direct to the phone socket downstairs and beams the signal to my PC upstairs?
Eddie
4 REPLIES
N/A

Newbe question

Got it in one!

Mine runs a lot better using wireless and having my router into the master socket. I also took the liberty of disconnecting all the other extensions in the house too, which gave another marginal improvement.
(Sky aren't too happy about it I have to say, but hey, what they gonna do? Cut me off for breach of contract? Lose the subs fee? I doubt it. :lol: )
Sometimes though, particularly using laptops with a Centrino chip, the wireless throughput can be poor (with the Centrino its caused by the power saving features of it)

If you're just adding a Wireless USB or PCI adapter to a desktop machine, you shouldn't have any issue.

Personally I use a USB, so I can position it on the end of an extension to get the best signal, purists will tell me though, that if I use a lot of USB devices, the throughput will be limited by my USB bus - (I don't have any prob's with mine though, so I just ignore the purists out there)
N/A

Newbe question

Thanks for your reply mate. Cheesy
Now (as I`m a complete novice to wireless networking) I need to find out what I need to connect 2 PC`s.

I watched a scary program on TV recently that showed someone parking a van outside a house with wireless broadband and being able to access what the other person has been looking at.
Does preventing this dictate what equipment I need, or does every modem/router have the means to prevent this?

Ian Edwards
boavon
Grafter

Newbe question

You will find that the wireless/router will permit connection to the internet from both PCs. It will also enable you to run a mini-network thus allowing such things as file sharing on both PCs and printer sharing.
Re access from other devices that are "driving-by" or roaming - there are a number of security measures you can take to make this extremely difficult.
Community Veteran

Newbe question

Hi Ian

Have you considered the "homeplug" routers from Solwise/Billion? Link
They work over your existing mains wiring via special plug adapters.
Thats what I'm considering at the moment anyhow.