cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking wireless router

kenportree
Dabbler

I have applied for the "free" wireless router and am thinking about how I can incorporate it into my existing network. I have two PC's currently networked and connected to the internet via a Netgear DG834 wired router. Rather than starting from scratch, I would prefer to use a wireless adaptor for the DG834, but I cannot seem to establish whether such a thing is available.

Has anybody any knowledge of such an adaptor and whether it would be an efficient solution. Cheers!

Ken
11 REPLIES
N/A

I am not sure that I quite understand your question.

You will need to use either your Netgear DG834 or your wireless router - but not both.

If you are happy with your existing setup then cancel your request for the wireless router and continue as you are. Having a wired network is better then using wireless.
N/A

As ruslyn77 stated it is not possible to add a combined wireless modem/router to an existing ethernet network. This can only be used in place of your current wired modem/router set up.

There can only be a single ADSL modem on a line, and the wireless modem you have ordered will not have the ability to accept an ethernet input from your existing router.

If you wish to retain your current wired router whilst adding wireless ability to your network then you will need to order a wireless router that does not have an integrated ADSL modem, such as the Netgear WGR614. Computers connected wirelessly will need to be on a different subnet to those connected via cable (i.e. if your wired computers are assigned addresses in the range 192.168.0.x then the wireless router will need to assign addresses in the range 192.168.1.x).
kenportree
Dabbler

Thanks to you both for your prompt replies. You will have gathered that I have no experience of wireless routers, but I now understand that what I suggested is not feasible. Although my present set up has suited up to now, it will be advantageous in future to have the flexibility that wireless offers.

Would I be correct in assuming that I need a wireless adaptor for each of my networked PC's, or will one suffice?

Ken
N/A

Yes. You will need a wireless adapter for each PC that you wish to connect wirelessly to the router.
kenportree
Dabbler

Many thanks, I think I've got it now!!

Ken
N/A

Wireless routers are so cheap now I picked a new adsl2 one up for £15 on ebay. So its worth ditching your old router and getting a wireless one if thats what you want.

There is no point if you have everything wired as a wireless is a lot more trouble slower and means buying cards and less secure. So unless you really need to go wireless its a waste
Liam
Grafter

Some of what has been mentioned above is not 'strictly' true indefinately. Where I used to work we had quite a large office / factory. We had a wired DG834 router but needed wireless functionality and I had a DG834PN wireless router lying around. All I did was disable all the DHCP-ness in the wireless router, plugged it in (via a long wire) to the DG834 and used it as a Wireless AP with the DG834 remaining to be the gateway. Didn't use the router / ADSL modem feature of it. Worked a treat.
Community Veteran

Just remember that you may need a "Cross Over" cable to connect router to router.

Chilly
kenportree
Dabbler

Thanks again to all responders, it would seem from Liam's response that my original idea is not impossible, but the solution sounds complicated to me!!

Ken
N/A

I'm no techie, in fact I've just bought a wired modem router by mistake and have encountered the same problem! I have a Netgear DG834 router and apparently (according to the instructions) you can add to the router to enable wireless connectivity. You need a "RangeMax Wireless Access Point (WPN802)". Then you should be able use wired and wireless simultaneously.

Having said all that, I've just bought a different wireless router for the same cost of adding the RangeMax WAP, so it's probably down to reliability of access vs. cost.

Good luck!

D.
Community Veteran

You will find that, Access Points as they are not as popular for domestic use are just as expensive as Routers. When it is only one part of the functionality of a wireless router.

Chilly