Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking PC and Mac... (NEW QUERY)

Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Hi all...

New to this networking malarky and just wanted to check a few things.
I'm currently internetted through my old Voyager 105, but I've just bought a 2nd hand G4 Mac, for which I also want internet access.

I've looked a few routers and stuff but TBH I haven't got the first clue what to go for and really what I need.

The G4 doesn't have an airport card, so if I get, say, a Belkin router (which seems to be the most recommended), and a USB dongle for the Mac, would that work?
And would I still need my Voyager, or would the Belkin router replace that?

Many thanks for any advice, cheers.
21 REPLIES
N/A

If you look around this forum then, probably, the Netgear DG834G is the most recommended router. It is easy to set up and works extremely well.

Whichever router you get it will replace your existing modem. The Netgear DG834G (like most other routers) allow you to connect up to 4 computers via cable. If your router is going to be close enough to to your G4 to connect via cable then this is probably best.

If not then you will need to connect via a wireless connection. I only have experience of connecting wirelessly with an Apple Airport Extreme Card but I assume a USB dongle will work just as well.
drumtochty

What version of the MAC OS are you running.

It will need to be at least 10.2 to get drivers for a USB wireless adaptor.

If the Mac is near the router just use an RJ45 cable.

eddie
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Thanks for the help guiys.

My OS is 10.4.3 (or 10.3.4...) so there's no issue there.

I'm ordeing the Belkin today and I'll try it with the RJ45 for starters, as they are both on the same desk.

Thanks agin.
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Hi again...

OK, I've spent the last 7 hours(!!!) trying to get my NETGEAR DG834G router to connect to the net, to no avail.
I've gone through the setup wizard supplied, and it's gets as far as trying to connect to the Netgear Login, but never manages to connect.

I'm concerned because I'm sure I saw on here somewhere that PlusNet uses a static IP, whereas the router seems to be trying to change this to a dynamic IP. Could this be my problem?

I've tried Netgear's customer support (pah!), and after 10 minutes of doing all the things I'd already tried (chaing the IP address and DNS settings) they concluded that the router was knackered and I need to send it back.

I know I'm not thick, but I'm new to networking. I just assumed that setting this up would be as simple as any other modem. maybe it is, but I'm tearing my hair out here, and would be grateful for ANY help that's going.

Cheers!
N/A

I am assuming that you are trying to connect your G4.

Are you trying to connect wirelessly or via ethernet cable ? If wirelessly, then try connecting via ethernet cable first to see if this works.

If you still have your old Voyager 105 connected to another computer then disconnect it.

Try resetting the DG834G by pressing the button at the rear of the router. Then try inputting manually the required settings:-

username
password
PPOA connection
VPI 0 VPC 38
VC MUX encapsulation
G.DMT modulation

Leave the router to select a dynamic IP address. This is the correct setting whether Plusnet give you a static Ip or not.

If you still are not connecting and you have a green sync light on the front of the router then go to your System Preferences and click on 'Network'. What does it say under ethernet connection? If it says there is a problem then click on 'Assist Me' and follow through the various screens.

Hope this helps.
The_10th
Grafter

I'm concerned because I'm sure I saw on here somewhere that PlusNet uses a static IP, whereas the router seems to be trying to change this to a dynamic IP. Could this be my problem?

Is the password correct to connect to the netgear?

The static IP is the address PN issues to your connection and you can either manually input this or let the router discover it.

Try adding the DNS servers (212.159.13.49 & 50) to the router DNS table to allow internet lookup of URLs you type. Also, your networking details need to be in the same range as the router (192.168.0.xxx 255.255.255.0) and a gateway of 192.168.0.1 added. Let us know how you get on.
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Hi guys...

Yesterday I was actually trying to get the router up and running on my PC. I eventually gave up after 12 hours, then this morning I managed to get it going on my G4 in about 10 minutes!!!

Still can't get the PC onto the network by a cable. I've tried two ethernet cables (both of which work fine on the Mac), but the USB dongle has worked fine. This isn't ideal, as I wanted the dongle for my girlfriend's laptop, and don't really wanmt to buy another one, but it'll do for now.

I've tried everything that was suggested above, but all to no avail. The fact that it works fine on the Mac tells me that there could possibly be something wrong with my PC (the ethernet PCI maybe?)

I'm exhausted, confused, p***** off, but at least I'm almost there now.
N/A

Still can't get the PC onto the network by a cable. I've tried two ethernet cables (both of which work fine on the Mac),

Probably stating the obvious......but are you using CAT 5 cable? I had an "ethernet" cable made up to connect my wifes Windows machine to the router so both it and my Mac could share my account...... and it did'nt work.It was only after I went down and had a CAT 5 cable made up that I found it worked.Don't ask me the difference between the 2 cables I have'nt got a clue :-) Might be worth investigation
The_10th
Grafter

Yesterday I was actually trying to get the router up and running on my PC. I eventually gave up after 12 hours, then this morning I managed to get it going on my G4 in about 10 minutes!!!

Still can't get the PC onto the network by a cable. I've tried two ethernet cables (both of which work fine on the Mac), but the USB dongle has worked fine.

I've tried everything that was suggested above, but all to no avail. The fact that it works fine on the Mac tells me that there could possibly be something wrong with my PC (the ethernet PCI maybe?)

12 hours! you are patient Wink

Seriously though, it could be your ethernet port is suspect. Are there any problems reported under device manager for the ethernet port and shown as working properly?

Does the link light (green number led) light on router when pc connected via ethernet also?

Any chance you could supply us with all the network properties for the ethernet adaptor and TCP/IP settings so we can hack... Wink i mean help you?
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Still can't get the PC onto the network by a cable. I've tried two ethernet cables (both of which work fine on the Mac),

Probably stating the obvious......but are you using CAT 5 cable? I had an "ethernet" cable made up to connect my wifes Windows machine to the router so both it and my Mac could share my account...... and it did'nt work.It was only after I went down and had a CAT 5 cable made up that I found it worked.Don't ask me the difference between the 2 cables I have'nt got a clue :-) Might be worth investigation

Absolutely no idea! Shockedops:
I've got the cable that came with the router (which is connected to my Mac fine, but wouldn't work on the PC),
[EDIT: this is a CAT 5 cable acccording to the NETGEAR website]
and another that I bought yesterday from my local computer shop (asked for an ethernet cable) to test that, and again, it will work for the Mac but not the PC.

Seriously though, it could be your ethernet port is suspect. Are there any problems reported under device manager for the ethernet port and shown as working properly?

the device manager is not showing any issues. It says it's working fine.

Does the link light (green number led) light on router when pc connected via ethernet also?

Yep. I've tried all four connections, and they all light up.

Any chance you could supply us with all the network properties for the ethernet adaptor and TCP/IP settings so we can hack... Wink i mean help you?

What do you need to know?
The_10th
Grafter

Can you ping the netgear router? Open a command prompt and type ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever it is configured to)?

If your TCP/IP stack is suspect you could try Winsock XP fix or XP TCP/IP repair

I haven't used them myself but some people have had some success so maybe worth a try?
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Can you ping the netgear router? Open a command prompt and type ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever it is configured to)?

Bit wierd this... when I'm set to find IP address automatically, the ping doesn't work.

When I manually configure the TCP/IP to 192.168.0.1 and input the DNS numbers, the PING works, but I'm still no neaerer to getting online.

If your TCP/IP stack is suspect you could try Winsock XP fix or XP TCP/IP repair

Tried both of these, to no avail...
Bizarrely, when I unplug the ethernet cable, to p-lug in the dongle (cos that works) it tells me that a LAN cable has been disconnected. So tyhe ethernet socket/connection seems to working.

This is getting more and more bizarre... :shock:
N/A

Are you saying you're manually setting your machine to IP address 192.168.0.1 and then pinging 192.168.0.1? If so, you're pinging yourself- and it's not great surprise you're getting a result.

You need to set your IP somewhere in the range 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is a unique (i.e. not used anywhere else on your network) number between 2 and 255. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

As the previous posts have stated, you need to make sure that you're using a patch cable and not a cross-over cable (the one that came with the router will be fine). It doesn't really matter if it's CAT 5, CAT 5e, or CAT 6. For the information of sunhouse and anyone else who is interested, ethernet is the networking technology used (applies equally to wifi) and the CAT number is the class of cable - the physical properties rather than the type. To cut a long story short, you can either get a patch (straight through) cable for connecting a computer to a hub/router/switch, or a cross-over cable for directly connecting two computers together. In general you're going to want a patch cable- and these are the most common.

alanfewings, can you plug the ethernet cable into your networking card again and do the following-

Go to- "Control Panel", "Network Connections" and check that your "Local Area Connection" doesn't show "Disabled" and if it reports "Network Cable Unplugged".

Can you also go to "Start", "Run", type "cmd" and then "ipconfig -all" and grab a screen shot of what it says. Then post that or e-mail it to me.

Lastly, do you have any security software (Norton, McAfee et al) installed on your PC? These may be blocking "untrusted" network access.
The_10th
Grafter

Are you saying you're manually setting your machine to IP address 192.168.0.1 and then pinging 192.168.0.1? If so, you're pinging yourself- and it's not great surprise you're getting a result.

You need to set your IP somewhere in the range 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is a unique (i.e. not used anywhere else on your network) number between 2 and 255. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

Any IP address can be used in the 192.168.0.xxx range provided it isn't the default used by the router or .0 or.255

Take a look here for more troubleshooting info.