cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Key

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Network Key

Set up Netgear modem before Christmas and have been using it hard wired. Just go my work laptop set up for wireless. Tried to connect and the Modem is asking for a Network Key. Is this a password I set up when I installed or something else?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Network Key

You have wep or similar setup on the router and this has a pass key which your laptop must give the first time it connects or the laptop has it set.

You can remove wep on the router and make it a open system so you wont need the pass key(nor will anyone else).

Go into the router and find the pass key

Go into the router and set a new pass key the netgears give you an option of phrase which it will then convert to the passkey. If your laptop has the same function it makes it simpler as the pass key can be long and complicated.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Network Key

Thanks.

What is the best way to fine this info.

Can't see anything on Programs.

Would I find it in Control Panel?
N/A

Network Key

It all depends on the wireless card as most come with their own software most give you the option of scanning for a router and it will then let you connect and ask for the wep key.

Failing that you should be running SP2 so you will have wireless setup wizard in the control panel.

You could also look on the network card(wireless card for options)
Slick
Grafter

Network Key

Failing that you should be running SP2 so you will have wireless setup wizard in the control panel.

i had a problem and it was with windows 2000 pro not xp
what system are they running?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Network Key

I am running XP.

Guess I may need just to read the instructions with the router or look up the website.

Guess I may have set up a password or something when I installed. Just how to recall this or change!
Slick
Grafter

Network Key

does this help?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.html

or the setting will be under the wan settings or security.
N/A

Re: Network Key

If you're using a Netgear router and want to find your WPA/WEP key follow the below steps-

1. Log into the PC directly connected to the router by patch (network) cable

2. Open Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or whatever browser you normally use to connect to the Internet

3. In the ADDRESS BAR at the top, type or paste the following EXACTLY AS SHOWN "192.168.0.1"

4. A username and password box usually appears at this stage. Default Netgear username is "admin" and password "password" - if these don't work try "admin" as the password. If this doesn't work, contact Netgear support.

5. If username and password correct, the Netgear router "web interface" loads

6. Click on "Wireless Settings" on the left hand side

7. Scroll down to the network key(s). If you are using WPA or WPA2 there will usually just be one network key, if you're using WEP there may be up to four. In the latter case the first is usually default and is all you need to worry about.

8. Copy the key (or first key in the case of WEP) and open a blank notepad file (click on "start", "run" and type "notepad" OR go to "start", "accessories", "notepad") and paste it in. Save this file somewhere where you will easily be able to retrieve it later, with a name like "key.txt".

To set up a Windows XP SP2 machine to use the wireless network-

1. Copy "key.txt" from the machine where you created it onto a USB key, floppy disk or some other form of removable storage. If you are unable to do this, don't worry, but it does mean you will have to manually type your key into the new computer and face the (fruhstrating) possibility of mistakes.

2. Insert the removable storage into the computer you wish to add to the wireless network.

3. On this computer go to "Control Panel", "Network Connections" and click on your wireless connection.

4. Click "View Wireless Networks"

5. Click on the name of the network you wish to connect to (if this isn't shown here, consult your router manual for how to switch on SSID broadcast).

6. Prompt appears for the network key. Copy and paste the key from your "key.txt" file or manually type it into the box provided. Repeat in "Confirm network key" box below (now you see why we wanted you to paste it- and has anyone got the slightest idea why this is needed?).

7. If the key is correct, the computer should now connect to the wireless network.