cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear card problems

N/A

Netgear card problems

Sorry if this is noddy, but I have a netgear wireless adsl router DG 834G and in my laptop I use a netgear WG511 card. We've had the set up going for over two years, it falls over occassionally but is never too hard to get running again. The last couple of days I am getting a regular message that a problem has been encountered with WG511 which needs to close. The card flashes and repeatedly scans without connecting. although I can connect through an ethernet cable, so I don't think it's the router. Any advice on what I can do to test what's going on - I still sometimes get a wireless connection but it's very flaky.
thanks
sarah
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Netgear card problems

Hi Sarah

I would try uninstalling the card and drivers then reinstalling it all again to see if it cures your problem

Doing this will quite often cure a multitude of problems but if its still the same do you know where you can borrow another card from to try with your system as after two years of use these can sometimes just start to fail like all electronic devices

They dont make em like they used to Wink
N/A

Netgear card problems

Hi Bill
Thanks for that - I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything and now my laptop gets on line fine via ethernet. When I'm online on the ethernet connection, the other machine that uses the router can also get online. However when I try to go wireless, the card can't connect and nor can the other machine. I do seem to be able to connect with my card to another nearby network though so it's a communication problem between the card and the router by the looks of things - any ideas how I get them to talk againHuh Driving me slowly mad!
Sarah
holdtight
Grafter

Netgear card problems

Hi

Are you positive that all the relevent settings for your wireless card are correct ie ssid name, wep or wpa password etc because if you can connect to another nearby network but not your own this would be the first place to look so it might be worth a double check

When you right click the wireless icon in the sys tray and select "view available wireless networks" is yours listed and if so can you select it and click on connect ? does it connect or is it not listed ?

Also check that in the tcp / ip properties that obtain dns server address and ip address are set to auto select

Bill.
N/A

Netgear card problems

not entirely sure what I've done, but having changed the name of my network and reinstalled it, I now seem to be able to connect again Cheesy hope whatever I've done stays OK. thanks for your help.