cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Router with Dlink Modem

N/A

Hi all,

I have a netgear wireless router (WRG614 v3) which I want to use with plusnet ADSL. I bought a DLink 300t modem for the ethernet connection.

2 questions:

1. When I connect through the Dlink modem the speed is reduced to about a third of what it was with the voyager USB modem (2.5M rather than 6.5M). Anything that can be done about this?

2. More seriously, I cannot connect through the router. I've connected via an ethernet cable to the router, and have edited the settings as best I can in the router's home page, but just can't get it to connect. Can anybody tell me the 'basic' settings for connecting a netgear router to a plusnet line?

The things I need to fill in are:

Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?

Account Name (If Required)
Domain Name (If Required)

Internet IP Address
Get Dynamically From ISP
Use Static IP Address
IP Address ...
IP Subnet Mask ...
Gateway IP Address ...

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically From ISP
Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS ...
Secondary DNS ...

Router MAC Address
Use Default Address
Use Computer MAC Address
Use This MAC Address

If there are any other settings I need, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Rob
4 REPLIES
decomplexity
Rising Star

Worth checking how your PC is expecting to talk to the router. When you are using a USB modem, you make an IP connection using authentication performed by your PC (via the 'DUN' dial up networking connectoid. I am guessing (but have never used a D-320 - the current version - so cannot be sure) that the D-Link modem works in a similar way. When you are using a router, the router itself makes the connection and authenticates using the userid (blahblah@@plusdsl.net) and password agreed with PN.
The settings you quote look like the defaults which should work out of the box unless you have an IP address problem between your D-Link modem and router or PC and router or both (possibly your PC has static addressing on a different network - e.g. PC set to 10.0.0.1 and router using 192.168.1.1 with subnet masks of almost anything and the PC having a gateway address of either 10.x.x.x which the router won't respond to or with a gateway address of 192.x.x.x which is in a different 'network'). If you are relying on router DHCP to provide local IP addresses, both PC and modem must obviously have 'IP address assigned dynamically' set.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
N/A

Thanks decomplexity - a couple of questions remain.
How do I check how the pc expects to talk to the router?
I presume from what you say that I need to select 'Yes' to 'does this account require a login' and enter my username and password?
I'm pretty certain the modem's IP is 192.168.1.1. Should I get the router to automatically chose an IP or not? If not what IP should I select?
I've been using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 - is this correct?
Also, how about the DNS servers? should I use the ones plusnet give? ie 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50

Thanks very much!
Rob
N/A

I had the same problem myself (http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44923).

Basically Netgear are a bunch of imbreds who dont know how to write a manual that covers basic issues. And ill say this again but their wireless network assistant software is the most buggy piece of crap ive ever used. Apart from that, their actual hardware provides good connection & speed thoughSmiley

I reckon your problem is your dlink modem aint setup to act as a bridge for your router. With the wireless network setup, access your modem through your router by going to http://192.168.1.1/ and in the dlink modem admin, set the modem to act as a bridge. (well i think its bridge, its something like that anyway;P)

Aslong as your router uses a username & password to login, you should get your internet access!
decomplexity
Rising Star

"...do I need to select 'Yes' to 'does this account require a login' and enter my username and password?"
If this is the only place in the Netgear setup where userid and password are requested, Yes. This is a PPP setting and will probably be on a screen asking for 'enscapsulation method - LLC or VC' and other PPP settings

I'm pretty certain the modem's IP is 192.168.1.1. Should I get the router to automatically chose an IP or not? If not what IP should I select?
192.168.1.1 is fine (and is very likely the Netgear default anyway). If so, leave it alone (it will shown on a 'LAN settings' screen). If you ensure that the router's DHCP service is enabled and 'IP address assigned automatically' is set in the modem and in the PC (for XP, Control Panel / Network Connections / Local Area Connection / Properties / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) / Obtain an IP address automatically) and in the PC 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' you should be most of the way there.

I've been using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 - is this correct?
Yes
Also, how about the DNS servers? should I use the ones plusnet give? ie 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50
You should at first set the router to 'obtain DNS server address automatically' (or whatever Netgear's terminology is). Then check if the PC can access websites. If it can only access websites by IP address, then hardcode the DNS server addresses in the router instead of allowing it to get DNS server addresses automatically.

Note finally the difference between the router's LAN address (say 192.168.1.1) and its WAN address (e.g. 84.x.y.z) which is assigned automatically when the router authenticates and establishes an IP session with PlusNet.

I have never used your modem and an unsure how it expects to be addressed from your router, but my guess it that it is treated as another attached device on the LAN (and can this be assigned an IP address by the router which does not conflict with the router's own 192.168.1.1).
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017