cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear MR314 and XP SP2

N/A

Netgear MR314 and XP SP2

My home wireless network uses a 6-year-old Netgear MR314 router. It ran fine but seems to be incompatible with newer PCs with XP SP2.

With SP2 the PC <> Router wireless connection drops after 10-30 minutes use. The PC wireless connection restarts OK, but to see internet again I need to reconfigure the PC wireless connection or reboot the router.

Can this router ever work with XP SP2? Any suggestions for what to try are welcome. Thanks. :roll:
2 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear MR314 and XP SP2

have you got new pc's with new wirelesses network cards or the old pc's with SP2 added?

Details for you router which is now end of life are here
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/MR314.asp

It has some good tips to follow. Are your pc's using the right 802 mode for the router or are they trying to use a higher speed than the router can handle?
New cards may not get the signal as good as before and it may be you need to move the router/pc for best reception.

Is there anyone else in your area with wireless who could be interfering with the signal?
N/A

Netgear MR314 and XP SP2

They are new PCs with factory-installed SP2 and wireless cards.
Signal strength is excellent when connected (not surprising as they are 6ft from the router). Mine is just about the only wireless network locally detected by the PCs.

I've tried the Netgear help before but got bogged down with the windows firewall fault-finding. This time I noticed the newer MR314 firmware to download, with the release note: 'works with XP', and upgrading with this worked - thanks M. Cheesy