cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Kit - Help with wireless please.

N/A

Might well be a stupid question, but what I want to know is;

Can I use my Netgear DG834G to connect a hard wired laptop to my Netgear DG834GT?

I have the *GT downstairs as my MaxDSL router, All *my* laptops and PC are all connected to it wirelessley - so far so good right?

Now the missus wants to work from home tomorrow, and her IT department demand she uses one of their laptops to vnc to their network.

Problem;
Don't want to trail back to work tonight to get all my kit and make up a cable to reach up to the study.

Is it possible to have the *G connect and maintain a wireless connection with the *GT, and then plug in the Cat5 between the *G and the Lappy?
3 REPLIES
N/A

I cant follow what the works laptop is using to connect wireless or cat5?

A simple solution is if she is VNCing to work they wont know what its coming from just VNC on a pc.

In simple terms you can connect the 2 routers and the second one will only act as a switch it wont route
N/A

The works laptop is using Cat5 to connect to the second wireless router (which as you correctly suggest, is not being used as a router, just as a wireless switch)
The difficulty is in getting the wireless switch to connect to the wireless router downstairs.

I suspect strongly that there is no way to get the DG834G to act as a network bridge.
N/A

You cannot bridge DG834Gx's together as they don't support WDS.

I know it's a bit late now but, In your situation, I think I would buy a wireless bridge for future use (they might ask her to work from home again - can you handle it?) Wink I use a WGE111 (it is marketed as a game console bridge but is just a bridge) and it works fine with a DG834GT and a DG834G. That way, you dont have to do any configuration change to your missus' computer as you will just plug it into the bridge and might just have to configure the bridge a bit.