cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834N RangeMax NEXT ADSL2 Modem Router

N/A

Anyone advise re the Netgear DG834N RangeMax NEXT ADSL2 Modem Router on offer from Plusnet?
I have a Voyager modem at the moment, I just purchased a Belkin Router only to find that it will only take an ethernet connection and unfortunately the Voyager is a USB connection so it is back to the drawing board.
Whatever I have need to be simple as I am not a PC wizard as you can see.
Grahame
3 REPLIES
The_10th
Grafter

Why do you think you need this router or any router? The system requirements for the router you mention are (from the Netgear website):

* ADSL Internet service
* 2.4 GHz 802.11n draft specification adapter or 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/ g wireless adapter. Alternatively, an Ethernet adapter and cable for each computer
* Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, Mac® OS, UNIX®, or Linux®
* Internet Explorer® 5.0 or higher
* We recommend using this product with the WN311B or WN511B RangeMax NEXT Wireless Adapters

Thus you can see that you will most likely need an ethernet port for most networking solutions and this should be built into your mainboard if it isn't too ancient. Otherwise purchase a USB to ethernet adaptor or an ethernet card (PCI bus).

If simplicity is what you require then stick with you USB modem or get a router such as Netgear DG834G which isn't too difficult and people here would no doubt help. With a router you then switch it on and leave on and simpler to connect to the internet.
N/A

Thanks for the advice.
I need a wirelss router to go wirelss. My only PC is a laptop which I want to use around the house and not be tied to one place.
The Voyager modem which I use for my broadband connection will not take the ethernet connector from the Belkin wireless router. I am therefore just seeking opinion of the Voyager which Plusnet sell.
I am thinking of buying a combined wirelss router and modem which will solve the problem and keep my Voyager just for back up.
Grahame
The_10th
Grafter

I see what you mean now Grahame. The Belkin router is just a router then?

OK, well the PN Netgear DG834G should be fine as long as you don't go too far wirelessly and your home isn't full of girders Wink

This will provide all your wired/wireless needs and isn't too tricky to set up but wireless can be a bit fiddly so just ask here or alternatively here

Information on the Netgear

Good idea to keep the USB ADSL modem for backup but the wireless modem router is the way to go just make sure you enable WEP for the wireless at least (WPA2 the best home user option)