cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834GT Wireless Modem Router

N/A

Hi, Ihave been trying to instal this Netgear, but it fails to pick up a connection. The wired LAN Status gives the message "Limited or No Connectivity".
I have tried to enter the relevant addresses manually but I still cant get into the router (192.168.0.1)to enter my plusnet details. Also tried to reset the router to no avail just wont pick up. Do I have a faulty Router or am i missing something.
I use a wired netgear 814 (same cables filters etc) which picks up no problem and I have installed a few of these wireless routers before with no problem.
Can anyone help please,
Thanx
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you tried setting every thing up wired.

Switch off ALL wireless security, and ESSID on.
Make sure that DHCP is on, and try again.

Chilly
Community Veteran

I think chilly is a bit confused as you are not using wireless Wink

How is your PC setup. For the network connection do you have it setup to pick up your IP address and DNS settings automatically or have you entered a static IP address & DNS? If you have manually set it change it to automatic and reboot the PC

Disable any software firewalls you may be running in case they are interfering.

When the PC starts up, what IP address has it been given. It should be something like 192.168.0.X where X is 2 -> 100. If it is not in the 192,168.0.X range then it has not been given the IP address from the router.

If you have been given a correct IP and you still cannot access the routers config screen in IE, can you ping 192.168.0.1?
N/A

Hi, Thanx for replies, excuse me while I wipe the egg of my face. This is a case of wrong item inside the right box. The box states that it is Modem router 834G, however inside is a wireless router. I have only had it three days and never bothered to look at the quite obvious underneath which states it is only a router
Community Veteran

So you are saying the item in the box is not what it says on the box.

What is the model number of the wireless router you have then?
N/A

The model number is DG834GT. Bit confused here because on the underside there is no mention of modem just"108mbps super wireless ADSL Router DG 834GT".
On the box it says DG834G.
When I look at my current netgear (814) information states "modem internet gateway".
However when I look at the Netgear site this model number (DG834GT) says it has built in modem. Huh? but not according to the details on the underside of the router.
The irony is I am not into wireless at all, it was given as payment for a job I done, but would be nice to know it works
As my son has his eye on it. The guy who I got it from says this is the box it came in ?
jazz
Grafter

On my box it says "Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4 port 10/100 Mbps switch DG834GT". It says the same thing on the sticker on the bottom of the router. Does it sound like the one you bought was a returned item and the contents and box don't match?? :roll: Hope you can get it resolved ok.
N/A

On my box as you say but just DG834G It is the sticker on the router that says DG834GT with no mention of modem or gateway, just what I stated in previous message.
I guess it could be a return but why does your DG834GT state that it is modem router and mine just says router it has the same model number, also the netgear site states built in modem.

[/url]
N/A

On my box as you say but just DG834G It is the sticker on the router that says DG834GT with no mention of modem or gateway, just what I stated in previous message.
I guess it could be a return but why does your DG834GT state that it is modem router and mine just says router it has the same model number, also the netgear site states built in modem.
Community Veteran

You do need to return it as the contents do not match the box.

If it is the 834GT model that you have it does have a built-in modem as all the DG824 models do. The only difference between the 834G and 834GT is the GT supports 108Ghz wireless whereas the 834G only support to more common 54Ghz wireless.
N/A

Peter, exactly, It is going back. The sticker is intact so it is not been tampered with unless it was a mistake on Netgears behalf. Just recently Dell were sending out Ink cartridges for series 6 but were actually series 5, wrapping and label were both wrong.
It is more of a case of bemusement because sticker on router states wireless router only but with model number DG834GT , whereas you guys a well as Netgear know that these model numbers are for wired and wireless modem/routers
owlguard
Grafter

I got a netgear from currys and it was a bt engineer,after a visit who told me,they have sold you a router with no modem,i would never have worked it out,thank god the bt engineer had 3 netgears in his van,he wasnt sure at the start but soon worked it out and i had to go back and ask them for a modem router and not just a router.The curry guy just said it was there mistake,even after i told them my pc had not got a modem in it,the boxes were practically identical,well even the curry man didnt fluff to it being the wrong box.
regards ray.