cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G v2

N/A

Netgear DG834G v2

Hi there,

I currently connect to PlusNet using the Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem.

I have recently purchased a Netgear DG834Gv2 wireless ADSL Firewall Router with a built in modem.

I can't for the life of me figure out how I can connect my laptop to the internet via wireless using my Plusnet account. My laptop does already have Centrino and it is activated.

I'm struggling how to do this, can anyone spare 2 minutes and give me a quick step-by-step guide? Your help is much appreciated!

Matthew
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834G v2

Start with your router and make sure that the wireless option is enabled.
Usually by default it will not be protected meaning that anyone within range can connect using your ADSL.
Next ensure that the Laptop radio is enabled. Quite often you do have to activate the radio option after you have turned it on.
Most laptops will also have an icon on the task bar that you can right click on to see if any radio links are within range.
Click on this and see if you can see your router.
If you can then tell it to connect to it.
Once you have connected and know that its working you need to go into the router set up and make it secure by setting up a "Pass phrase" using WPA security.
next time you try to connect your laptop will then need you to enter this "pass phrase".

Oh and welcome to the Plusnet forums Smiley
N/A

Netgear DG834G v2

Thanks for your response John,

I take it the router will know that I have ADSL on my line? I'm still a bit unclear about how my Plusnet account is tied into the router i.e. where do I use my username and password?

Another daft question, I take it my USB ADSL Modem is obsolete once I begin using the wireless router with ADSL modem?

Matthew
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Netgear DG834G v2

Take a look at this excellent review over on ADSLGuide. It gives a lot of setup info.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q3/netgear-dg834g.asp

Netgear info here -

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834Gv2.asp

To setup the DG824G modem you simply connect it and nearly all the configuration happens automatically - I think you only have to add username and password. I assume you have disconnected your USB modem?

I have always connected the router to a PC by cable and then my laptop will find the router wirelessly. When connected it is not necessary to have PC on to get laptop to connect.

I would try doing a setup using cable and then take out cable and enable wireless on your laptop and see if it will connect.

I am not sure if it is possible to do an initial set up wirelessly but if you can I stand corrected.
N/A

Netgear DG834G v2

I take it the router will know that I have ADSL on my line? I'm still a bit unclear about how my Plusnet account is tied into the router i.e. where do I use my username and password?

The username and password is stored within the router itself - you enter this on one of the configuration pages.
Another daft question, I take it my USB ADSL Modem is obsolete once I begin using the wireless router with ADSL modem?

Yes it'll be obsolete - but you can always keep hold of it for spares, etc Smiley

As Nick says you are probably better off connecting the network cable to your laptop and DG834 and configuring it over the wire. I would also avoid using the setup wizard because it can determine incorrect settings at times, and things won't work Wink Just go through one configuration screen at a time. You will only need to fill in about 3/4 screens.