cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G setup

N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

Hi everyone. I'm new to broadband (my eschange in the wilds of west wales has only just been upgraded) and wireless networking and had a quick question about setup. I've bought a Netgear DG834G (with free wireless USB connector at Amazon at the moment) and the install instructions say connect it to the PC via the RJ45 cable and then to the ADSL connection. As my PC is going to be in another room and connected via wireless can I do the initial setup via wireless or do I have to take my PC down to the router to do the setup?
8 REPLIES
markjeffs

Netgear DG834G setup

no if you install the wireless card on your pc and then power up the router you should be able to get into the router via a browser using 192.168.0.1 and the user admin and the password being password.. once your in that way you can then set up your DSL connection and also set any WEP keys that you need ...

then your ready to roll
N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

Thanks for the reply - just one question - what's a WEP key? Shockedops:
N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

Wireless Encryption Protocol

Without it the data you send wirelessly between your PC and the router is not encrypted so theoretically (although it is pretty unlikely to happen) someone can snoop on this info. It can be cracked now, but it does remove the risk of random snooping. I would always always have it set, it takes no time at all and there are basically no downsides to it.

The Netgear manuals are pretty comprehensive so I'd suggest putting an hour aside and ploughing through them. There is a LOT of config you can do on that router to make your surfing safer.

Cheers,
J.
N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

When in the Router Config - Wireless Settings page, to the right you will see an explaination of the different Encryption and security protocols.

Further info can be found in the knowledge bsae accessible from the Web Support tab at the bottom of the lefthand side bar.
N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've just connected the Netgear and powered up and connected wirelessly from my PC. It's showing the signal strength as Very Low and was initially showing a speed of 11mbps but it's now varying between 36 & 48mpbs. As I've only going to have a 2mb broadband connection is this an issue? Anything I can do to improve the signal - the router is right in a corner against a wall, will moving it out improve things?
N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

You will have no speed issue at all unless you can't get a connection, 2mb is 2mbps, so even at 11mbps you are still not going to even get close.

As a general rule the higher the router is in your home the better, so if you can plug it in to a phone socket and power point upstairs then that would help.

It also depends very much on how many walls (and, importantly, what's IN the walls - lots of power cables and pipes aren't good) that the signal has to go through.

Where's the network adaptor in your PC? Is it a PCI card or a USB device? If it's USB try moving that, keep it away from windows and metal objects and again try to have it as high as possible.

It is also worth changing the channel the system runs on manually. If someone else in your area has another router on the same channel they can interfere and so can other devices such as wireless telephones.

It's all about experimentation, your milage may vary :?

That said, if it's working reliably then don't bother, IMHO Cheesy

J.
N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

I've had an email to say my broadband is now active which coincided with me connecting my router last night (although I couldn't get an internet connection, it was complaing about CHAP or something on the netgear test page from the install CD!) :?

I've looked at my usage on plusnet and it's already showing a 7.3mb today even though all that is powered up is the router - is this normalHuh
N/A

Netgear DG834G setup

You will need to take your PC to your router and connect by LAN to begin with.

The reason for this is that you won't have told your router a wireless name to broadcast. The wirless signal it broadcasts is called an SSID. One you have set up your router to broadcast an SSID you will then need to set up your computer to connect to the SSID you set up + any WEP setting you entered as mentioned in the other posting.

It's also worth noting the channel you are broadcasting on as if you keep dropping your wirless the signal it could be because you are broadcasting on the same channel as someone else close by! If this is a problem simply tell your router to broadcast on another channel.

The router will be set up to actually broadcast it's SSID name which means that anyone nearby can see your signal and theoretically connect to this...... so once you have set up the SSID and have made sure you can connect to the internet through your wireless signal tell you router to stop broadcasting the SSID name. This will stop anyone within reach of your wireless signal seeing it. It won't effect your computer connecting to it as you have already told it the SSID name to find!

To connect to your router type 192.168.0.1 in your browser. Netgear username and password are usually 'admin' and 'password' or 'admin' and '1234' It's worth changing the password to something else.... just don't forget it!!

Simple eh....!!

Best of luck!