cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetGear WG511T issues

mitchell20
Grafter

NetGear WG511T issues

Anyone else having power issues with the Netgear WG511T 108 Mbps wireless PC card?

I used to use a DG834G router with a WG511 54 Mbps PC card with absolutley no problems.

Now upgraded to a DG834GT with a WG511T card and this is where the fun started.

Works absolutley fine when my lap-top is plugged into the mains but when un-plugged my lap-top stops responding completley. (I'm using WinXP home with SP2) I'm using the latest driver for the card (v. 3.9) and the most recent firmware for the DG834GT (V1.01.28 )

Version 3.9 now allows Atheros eXtended Range (XR) which is also enabled on my router. The router is set to Auto 108 mbps mode which allows 108, 54 and 11 mbps connections. I'm also using WPA-PSK as the security. (Had the same issues if using WEP security too)

Things do seem to work better (but not completley) when no security is enabled.

Having my lap-top plugged in all the time kind'a defeats the object of a lap-top.

Thanks
1 REPLY
mitchell20
Grafter

NetGear WG511T issues

Ok just found the Netgear support forum and it appears this is a well known well discussed problem with lap-tops with AMD Athlon chipsets. There's nothing yet from Netgear although they are aware of it and are working on the problem.

So if you have a AMD lap-top stear clear of the WG511T PC card!!!!